Male Soldier

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Re: Male Soldier

Post by Viech »

Sorry about the late response, I was rather busy this weekend. Unfortunately the images aren't visible anymore but from the quick glance I had a few days ago, the only two things that I found problematic were:

• The head seemed relatively small, making the body appear very tall. I think it would be nice if he wasn't much taller than the (relatively short) female model. It would make sense for the organizations that creates the clones to make them have a similiar statue so that armor pieces (in particular the battle suit) are shareable and it would also be preferable for gameplay, since both models need to have the same bounding/collision box. Scaling up the head a bit might do the trick.

• Similiarly, the forearms are relatively muscular compared to the female's. We'd like to use the same arms for both sexes in first person perspective, so they should be a bit more similiar in size.

Other than that the model looked really good! :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

RXMT
Modeler

Post by RXMT »

What about now

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

That looks really good! Subtle but efficient changes right there. :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Hey, how's it going, RXMT?

RXMT
Modeler

Post by RXMT »

Here's an update, I have been working on the bracelet and the boots, trying to recreate them as they are in the textures in 3D

I'm not sure about the color yet

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Hi, sorry for the late answer. The texture of the clothes should match the latest version of the unarmored female, which is basically just a grey hexagon pattern fabric and black, leathery reinforcements. (The yellow/blue clothing was from an older version but we decided on the black/grey so that the yellow/red armor pieces on top are easier to recognize and it doesn't get too colorful.) Do you have the textures for her so that you can sample the black and grey materials? Whoever put the female model ingame should also do unarmored/armored comparison shots for you to show exactly what parts are yellow/red armor and what parts are just clothing.

Did you change the height of the head since your last iteration? It looks a bit stretched now. Note that the model height doesn't need to be exactly the same, it just needs to be close enough so that they can credibly wear the same battlesuit.

RXMT
Modeler

Post by RXMT »

Hi, sorry for the late answer. The texture of the clothes should match the latest version of the unarmored female, which is basically just a grey hexagon pattern fabric and black, leathery reinforcements. (The yellow/blue clothing was from an older version but we decided on the black/grey so that the yellow/red armor pieces on top are easier to recognize and it doesn't get too colorful.) Do you have the textures for her so that you can sample the black and grey materials? Whoever put the female model ingame should also do unarmored/armored comparison shots for you to show exactly what parts are yellow/red armor and what parts are just clothing.

Did you change the height of the head since your last iteration? It looks a bit stretched now. Note that the model height doesn't need to be exactly the same, it just needs to be close enough so that they can credibly wear the same battlesuit.

Ok I think I'm gonna do it another way, I am going to combine the already made gloves, boots knee-pads and thigh-pads, so they use exactly the same textures as the woman. (because those parts are integrated inside the woman model, not in the armor models) its gonna be way faster than trying to replicate the normals, colors and specular... I just wanted to know is it alright to do that? (mostly because I'll take parts of the woman and ''graft'' them to my male model...

As for the head I don't think I changed it, maybe it's because of the material applied makes it look different, I'll try to refine it and show you the results.

Would it be possible to have the updated textures/colors available to dowload as reference ?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

The female soldier model and textures are CC-BY-SA 3.0 by Casey Addler so you are free to use them as long as you attribute him. I think it's a good idea to recycle what you can. I'll ask kharnov/Ishq to give you comparison shots and the missing resources.

RXMT
Modeler

Post by RXMT »

Ok then I'll reuse the gloves, the boots, knee-pads, shoulder-pads and belt it's gonna be much much faster than to replicate the shape the textures and the specular from low-res to high res...

so I'm gonna have license to the body and the face?

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

What're you missing? I can email you the relevant files.