Overmind (2)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Re: Overmind (2)

Post by Viech »

kharnov wrote:

If it's just one set of textures that are 4K I think it's fine. The tyrant has two sets of 2K textures.

That's only half the space. :tongue:

kharnov wrote:

You only ever see one overmind, anyway.

Textures are loaded only once, no matter how many instances of the model you spawn. Therefor, this is more of a counter-argument.

Since currently the texture doesn't look ultra-sharp, I wouldn't be oppsoed to sticking to 4k but we should keep an eye on our memory usage.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Actually, wait. I scaled it wrong.

Here it is next to the tyrant, with the current scale, 5.0. I think I made it too big.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Okay, I fixed it. Instead of scale 5.0 it has to be 4.5. The textures look better.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Scaling down the model will certainly improve the texture resoluion in world space, but I think the issue is a different one really.

Area A seems really odd. The shadows around the yellow elements aren't directed and appear cartoon-ish, as if the normal map was broken there. Area B is also odd because the light direction differs between the dots (visible at the highlights). (This is possible due to the nature of the light grid but not likely in such a small area.)

kharnov, could you provide either a pk3 or two screenshots both from the same view point/direction, both with r_showEntityNormals enabled, one with and one without r_normalmapping?

PS: The Tyrant needs a specular map badly.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Cupside
Modeler

Post by Cupside »

Hi all guys,

If you can upload an obj and textures of Overmind, I will check them to see whats happening there.

I can try to make tyrant's specular map if you want Kharnov.

Although this issue, nice work mate.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Cupside wrote:

I can try to make tyrant's specular map if you want Kharnov.

Yes, please! And a late happy birthday! :smile:

Geno527
Dretch

Post by Geno527 »

I think that you should desaturate him a bit.

RXMT
Modeler

Post by RXMT »

I think it might be my fault, I painted inside the cracks trying to create some sort of pattern on the ''horns'', I could rework it if needed since it is only the diffuse map.

As you can see in the diffuse map, it might give the impression I baked the shadows in the texture itself.

-R.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I see, that explains the anomaly of area A. On the yellow areas, the darker cracks don't exactly look bad, but the rule of thumb is that you'll get more contrast and depth in our engine if you leave all the shading and contrasting of bumps and holes to the normal map and keep the diffuse map "flat". It's best to think about the latter as nothing more than the color and intensity of the diffuse reflections of the material used in a specific area, not taking the geometric shape of the model or its surface into consideration.

Area B still leaves the possibility that normal map channels are swapped. Therefor I'd still like to see the visual output of the commands I posted above.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »