Overmind (2)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Overmind (2)

Post by Viech »

Have a look at the Overmind concept by Pevel:

Pevel wrote:

New overman:
And a few comments to justify and explain some things:

• Sketch number 5 is the 'eye' when it's not glowing. The surface surrounding the center should be smooth (and shiny preferably) - in case it's not apparent.

• In the sketch number 6, the brain-like surface may be partially glowing if possible. Plates on the armor should be barely visible.

• Perspective is certainly off in some places. I hope it's not that much of an issue. The concept isn't sketched as ideally symmetrical but if the model would end up being symmetrical - it's perfectly ok.

The Overmind, or OM for short, is the alien team's main structure. Without the OM, nothing works properly in the alien world: Evolution is stopped, structures refuse to defend the base, chaos is everywhere! The Overmind will likely use some sort of "psy attack" to harm and/or disorient close humans but it will still rely on base defenses for survival.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

RXMT
Modeler

Re: Overmind (2)

Post by RXMT »

I would be interested in modelling this asset, but I would need more details about the requirements

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Hello and welcome!

For the polycount, let's aim for approximately 7000-8000 total triangles as the upper limit, but the lower you can go, the better. We'll need at the very least a diffuse, normal, and specular map, with the texture resolution being 4096 squared. You can also make a glow map for the model, with the same specifications.

Is there anything else you'd like to know?

RXMT
Modeler

Post by RXMT »

About the concept, I am not sure I understand everything about it

-Is the top part supposed to rotate? If so, does that mean the whole model have to be in 2 parts: one upper part and one lower part?

-If they are separated, does the upper and lower part need to be closed meshes, or can they have holes at their junction (less polygons)?

-Also what is number 4? are they creatures attached to the model? Or are they fused to the model?

-Which part should glow? I know I have to make the brain glow a little bit , but is there anything else? (i.e. : eyes of little creatures, etc.)?

-Also is the iris/pupil the only part of the big eye that glow?

-As I can see the upper part is a radial symmetry of 4 and the lower part is a radial symmetry of 5, is that intended or should the upper and lower part have the same symmetry?

-How much can I diverge from the concept? Especially for details. May I come up with ideas during the process about the concept and then tell you so you can approve the changes/additions?

Thanks!

-R.

Pevel
Mapper

Post by Pevel »

Glad you're interested in modelling the overmind. To make it clear - you're free to make any changes you feel would be appropriate.

-Is the top part supposed to rotate? If so, does that mean the whole model have to be in 2 parts: one upper part and one lower part?

-If they are separated, does the upper and lower part need to be closed meshes, or can they have holes at their junction (less polygons)?

The upper part is not supposed to rotate. If so, does it make sense to make the model in 2 parts?

-Also what is number 4? are they creatures attached to the model? Or are they fused to the model?

The creatures are fused, preferably made of the same 'substance' as the dark bits. See the image at the bottom for better understanding of the structure.

-Which part should glow? I know I have to make the brain glow a little bit , but is there anything else? (i.e. : eyes of little creatures, etc.)?

-Also is the iris/pupil the only part of the big eye that glow?

The eyes of little creatures should be glowing as well, yes. The iris is the only part of the big eye that should glow.

-As I can see the upper part is a radial symmetry of 4 and the lower part is a radial symmetry of 5, is that intended or should the upper and lower part have the same symmetry?

-How much can I diverge from the concept? Especially for details. May I come up with ideas during the process about the concept and then tell you so you can approve the changes/additions?

Different symmetries are intended in the concept. But, as I said, feel free to make any changes.

Here are shots from the previous model attempt by VeryCrunchyTaco. Hope they help.

RXMT
Modeler

Post by RXMT »

Thank you for your answer. The lower body will be in the same mesh as the top part.

But should I make the main eye a separated mesh?

I guess it will rotate inside its orbit? It is mostly a matter of animation. If I make the Eye in the same mesh as the body it will be hard to make the eye rotate in its orbit.

Thanks, I know I ask a lot of questions!

-R.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

well, yes, separated should be better i guess. But it's ok if you leave it merged, i'd still be able to detach it afterwards :)

RXMT
Modeler

Post by RXMT »

Ok good, I'll do the model as 2 meshes, the main body adn then the eye, they will share the same textures.

-R.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Cool! Can't wait to see first wip images ;P

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Yes, me too!