Lucifer Cannon

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Lucifer Cannon

Post by kharnov »

That's definitely a good start, I like where this is going! Do you suppose that maybe it can be made wider, somehow? I would think that could help make it look bulkier. Maybe a little rounded at the sides.

Let's see what Viech thinks.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Hey, indeed a good start! I think it's totally fine if it doesn't visually resemble a BFG, we are going for a somewhat more realistic art style than Quake anyway. If you want to make it bulkier or wider that's also fine but it doesn't need to be as bulky as the placeholder model. Regardless, any detail that makes the weapon look powerful is appreciated, after all it's supposed to be the counterpart of this fellow. :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Hey, any news?

Geno527
Dretch

Post by Geno527 »

Yes, I'm on the High poly, I've tried a lot of different to make it more badass, but I wasn't very happy with what I've done, so I'm back with the original concept ^^.

Sorry for the lack of update, but I've been very busy this last week (some friend and family just came to see me, and some crunch at work ^^). But don't worry I'll not abandon you :p I'm on it !

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

That's good to hear!

Geno527
Dretch

Post by Geno527 »

I was wondering, do you have the Unvanquished logo in PNG ?

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Yes, here you go:

Geno527
Dretch

Post by Geno527 »

Ok, I've found some time to work on it this Sunday, so here is a first wip for the high poly. (there is still a lot to do of course ^^): Image

(I've work a bit on the presentation as I know that you like to post wip on your twitter ^^ so this is a bit more attractive :p)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Solid work so far! Here come a few ideas on how to make the weapon appear more powerful. Didn't really find the time to test them all in the gimp, so they may or may not produce good looking results. :wink:

• As opposed to the concept, you could try to make the barrel front align with the case front (as opposed to the barrel sticking out). I personally find that the current barrel gives the gun an unique character, but friends have voiced that it reduces the "blaster-likeness" of the gun. Afterwards, you could also try to increase weapon length a bit.

• The top, front part of the case seems to be the only part that's extremely smooth, creating a bit of a hot-dog look. Maybe make it as edgy as the rest of the gun.

• Any detail that extends to the sides of the gun could make it appear bulkier (without making it unwieldable). For example, the askew stripes around the barrel (the two in front of and the one behind the connector element that connects upper and lower case) could be made to stick out some more.

With your further detailing and any proportion-adjustments feel free to deviate from the concept some more. You did a really good job in following the concept but there are things that can be more easily optimized in a model than in a concept, so don't feel compelled to have the weapon look exactly like the sketch.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Geno527
Dretch

Post by Geno527 »

Thanks for your feedback Viech !

For the "hot dog" aspect it's because the high poly isn't finished at all (you don't even want to see the wireframe ahah). I was waiting for more feedback before making the final High poly (and also because I don't have a lot of time ^^).

I will try everything and show you very soon, if never your concept artist want to paint over the first person view that would be great (only if he want too) Thanks again ;)