Leech (2)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Leech (2)

Post by kharnov »

Wow, that looks creepy! I like it!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

The overall shape of the body looks really good! The thorns are of good quality, too, but I'm not sure how well they explain that the structurre can hang from a solid steel ceiling. (I had pictured the attachment to work adhesively and therefor having a contact surface where oganic material meets the ground. This also matches the other alien structures that usually sit directly on the ground, with a (currently ugly) creep mark drawn below them.)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

SyphonX
Modeler

Post by SyphonX »

Hmm I'll take a look at some of the other alien structures and add some web-like organic adhesion as a mean of support.

SyphonX
Modeler

Post by SyphonX »

Leech sculpt edited with web-like tendrils for support. If it wasn't already creepy before...

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Gooey and creepy! I like it.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Indeed. Both adhesive web and thorns together might be a bit much but we'll see what happens when you add color. Looking forward to that! :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

SyphonX
Modeler

Post by SyphonX »

I retopoed and optimized the leech base and all the web tendrils and it came out to be around 5300 tris. I had to get rid of the spikes to bring the triangle count down. Is this ok or do I need to find ways to optimize it some more? I felt I've optimized as much as I can without compromising the integrity of the mesh, but will look into it some more if it will be a concern down the road.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

I think 5300 triangles should be fine. The acid tube is 6500 triangles, for comparison.

SyphonX
Modeler

Post by SyphonX »

What is the limit on texture sheets? Do you want all the UVs to be on one texture sheet optimally or is more allowed? I only ask because the tendrils seem to have elaborate UVs that might not get the pixel resolution it deserves if I make everything fit onto one sheet due to the large mass of the body itself.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

You can definitely have more than one texture sheet if you feel it's appropriate.