Rocket Pod (2)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Rocket Pod (2)

Post by Viech »

We'd like to add another human defense structure to the game that uses the same stand as the turret and is close to it in size and style. The head/body of the buildable shall be a rocket pod that hosts a good number of small missiles (ca. 30). The missiles should not be visibly sticking outside of the structure as it will really have unlimited ammunition (just like the turret).

The gameplay design of the rocket pod is still a bit rough, but since the human team only has two defense structures so far (one of them being unlocked in late game) it will certainly fill a niche.

Here's the current gameplay draft:

The rocket pod is a structure similiar in size and price to the turret. It fires small unguided (or just slightly guided) missiles that kill a dretch on hit. The damage per second is significantly below that of the turret but its reach is a lot higher. Mssiles can be dodged when fired from some distance but at a low distance, dodging gets increasingly harder, even for small aliens. The delay between a line of sight and firing a shot is directly linked to the turning time of the turrets head and thus low (there is no or just a neglible additional spinup time). Thanks to Norfenstein for the idea.

And here is the concept by alex_bo:

If you want to model the rocket pod please post here, we will then try to supply you with the necessary source files.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Viech
Project Head

Re: Rocket Pod (2)

Post by Viech »

Currently in Draft state since Chris (who did the turret) said he could create the Rocket Pod relatively quickly from it. Chris, are you going to do this?

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Update shots from chris:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I love the idea of the shutters but find the head too tiny compared with the big and massive stand. I'd increase its size by a good amount, especially the length.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

How many rockets do you anticipate would be fired at once? Just a single rocket, or more? How fast is this thing shooting the rockets?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

kharnov wrote:

How many rockets do you anticipate would be fired at once? Just a single rocket, or more? How fast is this thing shooting the rockets?

I can't tell before I test a few options during implementation. I think it will likely be a single rocket, but I can also imagine a small swarm with up to six rockets (MechWarrior LRM style). It would be slightly guided, so it forces you into cover if the distance is big enough. For a delay, I'm thinking of two to five seconds between shots.

Stannum
Modeler

Post by Stannum »

Ditch one rocket pod and turn it into ammo storage/reload mechanism.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Stannum wrote:

Ditch one rocket pod and turn it into ammo storage/reload mechanism.

And the rockets would then teleport from the storage into the individual tubes? Because if they did, we can just teleport them from outside the structure…

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Is there an estimate when this will be ready? Gameplay wise, this is the most desired object right now. :smile:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Chris, can you give a general status report on your modeling efforts? If three assignments at once is too much for your free time, please say so and we can reassign the repeater (the las gun is obviously yours and I also really want the rocket pod from you for consistency with the turret).

If possible, could you prioritize the rocket pod?