Painsaw (2)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Painsaw (2)

Post by Viech »

The painsaw works pretty much like a chainsaw but it uses energy to cut and instead of wood it cuts alien structures. It was initially designed as a tool but the humans repurposed it after they found out how efficient it is at the latter task.

In game, the painsaw is the weapon with the highest damage per second. It also has a small range that should be reflected by the energy effect. The tool has infinite ammo and only needs an attack animation that can involve the disc at the front spinning.

Concept by alex_bo:

If you want to model it, post here.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Cronshaw

Re: Painsaw (2)

Post by Cronshaw »

Hey, new member here. Good to meet you guys. I think i will try taking on this one. Can someone give me the tri-limit and texture size? Im guessing 2048 for the textures but i don't know what tri-limit you guys are aiming for.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

I would say that for the first-person model, around 5000-6000 triangles, and for the third-person model, around 3000-4000 triangles. For either case, going lower is beneficial if you can do it, due to performance reasons.

With regards to textures, yes, 2048 in a lossless format like TGA or PNG is ideal. At the very least we'll need diffuse, specular, and normal maps. If you can make gloss and/or glow maps, that would also be good. For the spinning energy blade at the very least, I would imagine we'd want to use a glow map so that the engine's bloom can brighten and blur it somewhat.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

And of course, welcome! I'll assign this to you if the above sounds reasonable.

Cronshaw

Post by Cronshaw »

Yes please do. I've started blocking it in.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

It's all yours. :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Can't wait! :thumbup:

Cronshaw

Post by Cronshaw »

Hey Guys. I sincerely apologize for taking so long with this, I'm not one to make excuses but it's been pretty busy for me lately, the amount of assignments for school i have at once is really putting stress onto me. But because I handed in some of them this week, it's freed up some time in my schedule, so i will now be working on the painsaw more frequently.

This is what i have so far. It's not much, but it's a start. I wanted some feedback on things you guys would liked changed. *This is just the starter mesh, not low poly mesh. I will be doing a high poly using this mesh but then creating a whole new game mesh.

Questions I have for you guys:

Overall thickness of gun, is it accurate? It looks to be like it would be a thick, heavy gun, but again i'm not sure.
The handle. Is the player going to be holding the handle on the top?
The saw. Is it suppose to be a actual saw blade, or just some sort of circle?

EDIT: image is cut off :( Just click on it to enlarge

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Remarkable! I really enjoyed your modeling work on your website, and the painsaw is coming out fantastic. Viech will give you much more detailed feedback since he handles our art direction, but I must say that your painsaw is going to be a lot of fun to slice up aliens with.

If you're using 3ds Max for this, I can give you the human hand files so that you can figure out how the hands will look gripping the weapon.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Yes, this is coming out nice! Two things for now:

• The "blade" is supposed to be an energy generator, and that energy is then cutting stuff. So it doesn't need any teeth.

• You can't quite tell from the concept, but the secondary handle should allow you to make both vertical and horizontal cuts. Have a look at a regular chainsaw, which allows you to grab the handle both on the top and on the left side. (It should be the left side so it's visible in first person view.)