Spiker

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Spiker

Post by kharnov »

Send it to me, Viech, and gavlig. You can just CC one email to all three of us. Our email addresses, respectively, are kharnov gmail.com, viech unvanquished.net, and gavlig gmail.com. We will export the model and look at it in-game to tell you what to do with it, in case it needs further corrections.

For formats, send the model in .OBJ and the texture maps in .TGA or .PNG.

Post edited by Viech: Obfuscated email addresses.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Thanks, I received it. We'll tell you soon how it went. By the way, I'm simply amazed at how quickly you've done this. Great job on the speed! :thumbup:

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

awesome! will be waiting the feedback then, in the meantime can pick other concept to star modeling?

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Sure! Pick one and I'll assign it to you.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

A few suggestions:

Battlesuit
Barricade
Hive

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Sorry, I've been packed with work recently so I didn't respond earlier.

While looking at an ingame version will certainly not hurt, I'm pretty sure I can already tell the color needs some adjustments. In short, your colors have a noticable Blizzard-esque/cartoonish look. We're going for something more organic, with less saturation and more slimy reflections. :smile:

Let me show you a few examples of our current aliens.

The acid tube was among our first complete alien structures and thus was setting a standard for their appearance. This doesn't mean we want other structures to copy its exact colors but the general notion of organic material is still a good reference:

Here are the texture maps for the acid tube.

You could also have a look at some of the mobile alien forms, for example the Tyrant:

Or the Dretch:

You'll notice that our main colors are tones of brown, red and teal. New colors are certainly welcome but the result should still roughly fit into the alien family.

For the Spiker, maybe given the flesh a very dark tone (like the Tyrant skin) but make the "shell" a slimy, skin-like surface similiar to that of a ray?

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

wip_spiker_color_4.jpeg
wip_spiker_color_4.jpeg (183.94 KiB) Viewed 6487 times

i was just playing with the saturation of the colors, got a better result, but still missing something i guess. i was looking on the other models and i think i need to increase the color diference mostly on the body part, the color is too flat a think, will put some more red and greens.
@Viech
i didint understand what did you mean by the shell have a like slimy look, i was thinking that shell was going to be more opaque, with less glossines.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

lhdc wrote:

i didint understand what did you mean by the shell have a like slimy look, i was thinking that shell was going to be more opaque, with less glossines.

Well, the specific style is up to you, my only wish is that the hull/mantle/coating ("shell" says quite the opposite of what I want to express) is visibly soft and flexible and doesn't look too much like armor. There are two reasons for this: The first is the inflation and contraction animation I was talking about, the second is that the structure will behave sensible (shoots its Spikes when it gets hit) and won't have much health (atleast not more than the other alien structures, none of which has visible armor plating).

They grey is certainly less "aggressive" as the blue but it still looks rather cartoony due to the lack of specular reflections and the high diffuse contrast. The diffuse map should be rather dull, with the shadows coming mostly from the normal map. Try to crank specular and normal up and only use the diffuse for the color variation you were talking about (and not so much for defining the material). The same goes for the coating: Move all the surface/material variance into specular and normal map and only define its general tone with the diffuse. That will also allow you to quickly try different color tone variations.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

Ty Viech, now i undertand what did you mean but the details of the shell, that is not a shell lol
the render have a problem that i didint put the specular and the normal on him =X
its a render with the color and AO baked into it, will make a render with the proper materials to make sure the color is correct.

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

can anyone post the specular map of the acid tube so i can use as reference?