Spiker

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
lhdc
Modeler

Re: Spiker

Post by lhdc »

phpBB [video]

:thumbup:

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Great update! Thank you as always for working on this.

The brown part of the shell looks fine, as do the spikes coming out of it. Regarding the textures, I would say that the diffuse could use a little less saturation since it's a little too strongly colored. You may want to alter the tone to a more teal one instead of blue, or to a different color if you feel that is appropriate. Another major point is that the flesh should have some more variation in tone. You could possibly accomplish this by giving it a mottled appearance. Here are two reference pictures:

In both cases, look at the back of the frog. You can see the sort of pattern of spots it has. That could be one way you can make some tone variation on the fleshy portion of the model.

How does that sound?

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Also, gavlig, what do you think of the model? He's been forwarding it to the three of us. Can you take a shot of our spiky friend in Blender?

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

frame0017.jpg
frame0017.jpg (26.27 KiB) Viewed 4490 times
The attachment Spiker_color.jpg is no longer available
da.jpg
da.jpg (26 KiB) Viewed 4490 times

what you guys think?maybe need to increase the contrast between the two colors?
i would really like to see a preview ingame, to be sure how the specular and the shadow with the normal would look exactly

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

i was checking the other models already made, and i think my work is still too diferent, he is still not fitting with the "family" monster.
i will go back to the modeling on the high poly, the base i think is right, but the details is still missing something. by monday i shoud have the model with new details and painting!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Oh well, if you're motivated to modify the high poly, sure, go ahead! :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

phpBB [video]

just made some new details, and made some new paiting, the preview has 2 materials, the first one is more opaque to see the coloring better, and the second one has more specular, more close to the final material.

what you guys think, is better this way or the old one?there is any other detail that i can add?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Oh yes, looking nice!

I honestly think the less reflective version looks better, or atleast the specular-heavy one is a bit too shiny for my taste. Of course all this can look slightly different ingame and is easy to adjust later on, so don't worry too much about the magnitude of the specular reflections.

With regards to further details, try making the area right around the eyes darker and less saturated on the diffuse map (similiar to what you did to the mouth region, maybe even the same color). This will bring the eyes out some more and add color variance in the face region. In addition, you could try drawing some sort of eyeliner around the glowing spots for even more contrast.

After that I'd just add another layer of pattern to the flesh (just like you have multiple patterns on the coat) and this could turn out to look really good!

In case it doesn't take more than two minutes to do, you could make the fleshy part of the rear leg a bit thicker, it looks rather weak compared to the claw/horn/foot that is attached to it. (But really, if this isn't trivial to do as it would require changes to the low poly, just leave it, it's not really important!)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

phpBB [video]

this is again a preview in marmoset.
i didnt make any change to the leg, i can make it kinda easy, but i need to change the low poly version.
what do you guys think of the colour?maybe a shoud tone the saturation a little down?decrease the lighting maybe, make it more dark?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Saturation seems fine to me, a bit more variation in color wouldn't hurt though, currently it's mostly one tone. Apart from that I guess the skin is ready to be looked at ingame!

One thing bugs me about the eyes now though. First of all, I imagined the effect (desaturation, eyeliner) around the eyes to be very weak. The outshadow you added to them seems way too strong. Making the eyes bigger was probably a good idea, but I liked the detail they had previously (round shape, green color). Now they look a bit flat.

I find it hard to describe how I imagine the eyes to look, but I think both the Acid Tube and the Dretch are a very good reference: They eyes sit in a concave but are slightly convex themselves and there is a small stripe that is part of the (convex part of the) eye but doesn't glow (maybe that's why I had the term eyeliner in the back of my head…). Since these eyes are the primary defining element of our aliens and the Spiker is supposed to be closely related to both Acid Tube and the (not yet ingame) Booster, I think it's fine to stick close to their eyes here.