Spiker

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
lhdc
Modeler

Re: Spiker

Post by lhdc »

phpBB [video]

made another preview with marmoset and all the maps, mas some changes on the specular and diffuse map.

there is any way to me upload on the engine to test and adjust the specular with the lights and shaders of the game?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Coat and spikes looking much better! Flesh has improved but is still a bit cartoony. Getting a model ingame can be a bit tricky sometimes. We can do that for you, but before that, may I have a look at the texture maps? If they look right then we'll import it and see if it's just your rendering or if the looks persist. (However, I have the feeling your diffuse map might still have too much contrast or shadows/outlines baked into it.)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

i will email you the new textures, will also make 2 textures for the difusse, the current one and a new one with the AO and cavity map with less intensity

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

phpBB [video]

another preview, with the color maps with less AO.
also making some testes with the marmoset toolbag :thumbup:

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

I'm curious, how would the shell look in a darker color?

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

what color?the same but darker or other color? i can make a test :thumbup:

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Perhaps similar to a charcoal color? I don't know if it would look good, but it's worth seeing a test of:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

OK, first of all I think the new coat is fine for now as it looks like a leathery type of skin. If you try what kharnov proposed, make sure it doesn't start to look hard.

Judging from the diffusemap color → color2 was the right way to go. There are still shadowy wrinkles on the flesh that add to the cartoonish look though. Remember: The diffuse map should contain only color and its general (evenly distributed) brightness, not lighting/shadow related brightness differences! i I'd also try removing the shading on the Spike part. Then the only thing left would be adding color variation.

Let's get to the specular map: The coat-part looks mostly good, but again don't add locational variance that look only good under certain lighting: In your current specular there are only strong highlights in the middle of the coat but they should be evenly distributed – after all it is the same material and shouldn't shine more in certain areas. I now see another issue with the flesh: In the specular map, you applied gradiant shading to it. Again, make the brightness distributed evenly! I'm not sure about the wrinkles in the specular version, I guess they might also have too much contrast.

While I think the coat color is fitting, I'd add more color variance especially to the flesh. You might also want to try shifting the tone of the main color slightly towards teal instead of blue, for consistency.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

made some changes increase the color variation, and removed the shadows from the specular

Color

Spiker_specular.jpg
Spiker_specular.jpg (213.04 KiB) Viewed 5695 times

Specular

The attachment Spiker_specular.jpg is no longer available
kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Could you take another Marmoset render?