Spiker

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
lhdc
Modeler

Re: Spiker

Post by lhdc »

phpBB [video]

add some more color to the body, and changed the eye!
also change the light in my render, the older one was to dark, i just put another one, stronger to be more easy to see the colors.

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

phpBB [video]

made some changes on the eyes, and made a second version of the coat, with the bordes more dark.
i still like more the first version.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

• The flesh looks much better with the color variation, especially since you built it around the features of the face and other geometry.

• The eyes look a lot better now, too. I'd decrease the magnitude of the outshadow even further. Half of what it currently is is what I imagined in the first place. In case your diffuse map shows the eyes as if they wouldn't glow, you could try decreasing the size of the glowing spot on the glow map a tiny bit, with some gradient applied to its edges. This would make the eyes look more round and less like the Spiker was high on alien plants. :grin:

• Despite the fact that it is pretty strong I prefer a border on the coat but if you don't like it, don't do it (like this). Maybe try to lower its opacity and see if you like it like that, because I feel something like that was exactly the right thing to do in order to create a greater contrast between the two materials. Another possibility would be changing the color of the flesh right underneath the coat. (Again, very slightly! From my experience, three barely visible layers often look better than a single significant one.)

I think we are at a point were only very slight changes are needed. Anomalous or Ishq, could one of you attempt to get the model ingame so we can judge those better?

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

im going to make the changes on the eye, much sure he doesnt look high :wink:
shoud i email the model and maps to somene put it in game?

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

The three emails you send it off to should work.

By the way, gavlig is the one that will most likely be animating your model. He can tell you if there's anything wrong with the mesh for animation. I think he can also take a Blender export for us as well.

Also, Anomalous (ds on the IRC channel) can export things and get them in-game. I believe his email address is anomalous@moreofthesa.me.uk (from his profile info).

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

I took the spiker on a tour of our six main maps and posed him next to some of our other aliens. Here is the gallery on Minus: http://minus.com/mbtYRPx9erO4ic

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Sweet! I'll give my feedback this weekend, I'm currently preparing for an exam. Judging from the shots together with the acid tube and marauder, it would be 50-100% bigger later on. The spikes would stick out of the bounding box. (This is all done inside the game's config files.)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

This work is licensed under a CC-BY-SA 3.0 license, attribute it to Luiz Henrique de Camargo (lhdc)