Concept Artist

Re: Sensor

Post by alexbo »

Should we go with a shorter design?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

All human buildables could only ever be built on floors so far. The wish that this structure should be the exception should've been voiced earlier on. I think the tall version is fine for the floor either way. Also making it shorter wouldn't result in a structure that could be built on walls. Let's build upon the current (tall, floor only) design for now. Maybe Alex feels like making a second rough sketch of a wall/ceiling mounted sensor with similiar features (dome camera and detection-indicator light) afterwards and we can assign both to the same modeler. After all the latter could really look like your average public surveillance system with a glowing stripe around its base.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Banana is being more careful now that the sensor will track its every move. :grin:

Love the new version on the right! Does everything we need, call it done if you want to. Would you be interested in sketching a wall/ceiling mounted version of the Sensor? It can be very simple in shape, a regular dome camera would be enough but you can of course add some more sci fi bulk if you want to. Apart from the camera itself, it only needs an equivalent for the blue glowing stripe. Could just be a simple stripe going around the base, I guess.

(As a former anti-surveillance activist, I didn't think it would ever come this far with me. What's next, programming guided missiles? … Oh shit.)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Sorry that this took forever but here are some sketches for the wall/ceiling-mounted sensor ideas.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I feel the rightmost version is a bit simple but I prefer the glowing stripe around the base to something on the dome that might obscure the camera vision. The first two versions look more interesting but I guess they'd be better off without the thorns/legs since they will usually be placed on flat, solid surfaces (→ attachment via magnet/vacuum/glue). Maybe use the first version and add some antenna/microphone triangulation extensions to the side, like on this sketch?

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

I fleshed it out a bit. In the meantime of having new concepts.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Welcome back alex! :bsuit:

Neat sketch, this has pretty much all we need! Also, it appears redman has been laying the groundwork for a gameplay implementation of a sensor.

I'm also implementing the (now modeled and animated) Spiker right now, I expect to have it ready for the next alpha (we need to fix a few issues with our new model format first though…).