Overmind (1)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Overmind (1)

Post by Viech »

Have a look at the Overmind concept by Pevel:

Pevel wrote:

New overman:
And a few comments to justify and explain some things:

• Sketch number 5 is the 'eye' when it's not glowing. The surface surrounding the center should be smooth (and shiny preferably) - in case it's not apparent.

• In the sketch number 6, the brain-like surface may be partially glowing if possible. Plates on the armor should be barely visible.

• Perspective is certainly off in some places. I hope it's not that much of an issue. The concept isn't sketched as ideally symmetrical but if the model would end up being symmetrical - it's perfectly ok.

The Overmind, or OM for short, is the alien team's main structure. Without the OM, nothing works properly in the alien world: Evolution is stopped, structures refuse to defend the base, chaos is everywhere! The Overmind will likely use some sort of "psy attack" to harm and/or disorient close humans but it will still rely on base defenses for survival.

If you're wondering how the surface of the Overmind should look ingame have a look at our acid tube and the trapper for a rough reference. Browsing the Concepts section might also give you a better feeling for the looks of the alien species.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

VeryCrunchyTaco

Re: Overmind

Post by VeryCrunchyTaco »

Hello all!

My name's Dylan Rinker, and I'll be working on this model. It's pretty late here, so I'll make sure to begin working on this tomorrow, and giving some feedback on other projects as soon as I can! Everything on here is looking great, so keep up the awesome work! :)

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Welcome! Can't wait to see where this goes. :thumbup:

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Cool and welcome to the team.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Any news, Taco guy?

VeryCrunchyTaco

Hello, and sorry for the delayed response!

I've been a bit busy (helping with moving, job applications, etc) over the past couple of weeks, so I sadly haven't been able to get too much done... Here's what I got, after about an hour or so of noodling around.

I'm hoping to finish the sculpt by the end of the week... it's nothing much right now, BUT IT'S A STARTTTTT. I'll try to post again as soon as possible! Any comments and ideas to fix up the overall form will be appreciated. Thanks for your time, and have an awesome day!

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Good start, it follows Pevel's concept closely. When you take renders, do you suppose you could stick the tyrant model nearby? That way we can have a better sense of perspective.

Pevel
Mapper

Post by Pevel »

Looks good so far! Don't forget about horns in the upper part. You should try to maintain somewhat raw character of the structure. Looking forward to next update.

VeryCrunchyTaco

Heeeeeello again! I made a little progress tonight, but nothing too big.... mostly just fixing up some ugly errors and trying to make it look more like the concept. Below are the images and a little self-critique.... Any more help is appreciated! :)

@Kharnov: Thanks for the advice, I'll try to get more scale references in future renders!
@Pevel: Thanks! I tried to add some more horn parts in this update, but it's still very "eh" at the moment. I should have it looking better soon!

Pevel
Mapper

Post by Pevel »

Everything goes in the right direction. Keep going! I agree with your self-criticism. A little more feedback on the image below. You may also scale down the model a bit, to make it only a little higher than a tyrant.
(blue lines indicate correct shape, red lines - what you could change. The general idea is that the slits line up from the bottom to the top)