Drill (2)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Warvinc
Modeler

Re: Drill (2)

Post by Warvinc »

No problem I'll wait,do you want me to send the textures again in case they are at a lower quality like the normal map?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Do so after you modified them, we are in no hurry here. We will probably need to make adjustments for the next release anyway, given those shading anomalies.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

I've modified the texture/spec/emissive like you did,less dirt/scratch,some labels.darker spec.

Now I just need to know if I need to modified the model(maybe more edge to make it more round) and normal map depending on how it's going on with you engine :P

Attachments
screenshot004.jpg
screenshot004.jpg (80.93 KiB) Viewed 7409 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

So it appears that the new model format we use doesn't support smoothing groups (just like the old one), but the exporter would still take them into account by splitting the model along the edges of groups and adjusting the normals accordingly (our old model format didn't even allow predefined vertex normals so that's still an improvment). It appears that we might have used the exporter incorrectly.

I'm not really knowledgeable about the proper export of models. Basically what needs to happen is that you make sure the model you give to us has proper smoothing groups and then Ishq or Anomalous would attempt to export it taking those into consideration. If it all works out, we should get rid of most, if not all, shading anomalies. So if you're sure that 1) the model you gave us has proper smoothing groups and that 2) the normal map was generated for the same set of smoothing groups, then you shouldn't need to do anything.

New textures look good. Regarding the labels, could your maybe remove the word "DRILL" and make the serial number bigger? The structure won't be called drill eventually (this was just our working name when we started figuring out the resource system). I'd have one more request regarding the texture: Could you experiment with a second color on the spacers, one that seperates the four little indentations on the sides of each from the rest? Currently the indentations are barely visible.

Feel free to start on the armoury. Since your telenode turned out perfectly and the shading error is most likely on our end, there's no need to wait.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

So!I've tried different color but the best was still a lighter grey,also changed the label :)

Oh and yes,all my smoothing groups are good so I'll start the armoury tomorrow if there's no other change for the drill! Just tell me what you think and I'll send the new textures to kharnov!

Attachments
screenshot005.jpg
screenshot005.jpg (74.42 KiB) Viewed 7389 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Oh yes, a lighter grey also works! I don't think there are any more changes to do right now. I'll ask Ishq to try another import and see how this goes.

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

Okay I sent them!

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Sorry for the bit of a delay Warvinc, we've been spending the last week fixing some crucial renderer anomalies. The model wouldn't have looked right with them. Now that I (think) they're mostly fixed, we'll export your model and have another look.

How is the armory?

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Also yes, you are a goose now.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Welcome to the elitist goose club™.