Drill (2)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Warvinc
Modeler

Re: Drill (2)

Post by Warvinc »

Well I like the concept art colors,I'll try to make it more like the reactor,and also I'll make a glowmap for the ''glowing blue parts'' like on the picture!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Hey, sorry for the delay. High poly looking good! Be careful though: The Drill should look different from the reactor since there is also the Repeater/Generator, which is essentially a mini Reactor with a similiar size as the Drill!

The Repeater is going to have rotating wings just like the reactor, which is why there should be no rotating parts on the Drill. I'd also make the glow on the Drill a different color, maybe red. However, the surface material can of course be similiar.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

Oh well okay I see,no problem! I'll make some test then :) thanks!

Stannum
Modeler

Post by Stannum »

Move the supports outwards more. The whole construction feels flimsy when they are so close to the body. Go do some image searchs on industrial machines/vehicles to get a better idea on how they work/look like. Right now the supports are looking too weak compared to the big/topheavy body.

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

Well I'm confused because some of you is saying it's okay and you're saying it's not,It's been 6 days since the last post so uv's are done and now working on normal map,so I'd like some more precision on who decide what before I go further.

The legs are close to the body exactly because the whole construction needs to be pretty much like a square so,I'm not really able to move it outwards.

Thanks!

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

Oh and quick update,since it's pretty much a cylinder,making a real good normal map isn't easy at all,so I'll bake only the really important stuff,but not the rest(like fake bevel edges) because it's pretty much impossible to look perfect since it's a cylinder(I've read a lot on it because I wasn't sure so)

I'll show you the result of my normal map soon!thanks :)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Stannum might be right about real industrial machines being different in that regard, but I asked for close feet because

1. We have to work under the assumption that we might be sticking to axis aligned bounding boxes, or atleast to bounding boxes, for atleast collision detection. This works better when the maximum diameter of a model is close to its average diameter.

2. Since all human models have been concepted and modeled under the assumption in 1., close feet are relevant for stylistic consistency.

3. Players love to fit those structures in small niches. Even if we used per-polygon collision detection, widespread feet would prevent this.

So we basically have technical limitations, stylistic consistency and gameplay vs. realism and credibility here. I feel the mesh is a good compromise, given the (in my opinion) higher importance of the first group.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

Here's the LOW POLY with baked normal map,no texture/spec.

first picture: Low with normal map
2nd: Low without normal map

I'll start the texture soon :)

Attachments
screenshot003.jpg
screenshot003.jpg (113.63 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
screenshot004.jpg
screenshot004.jpg (110.77 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Can't wait for that texture job. :thumbup:

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

here's the first try texture,if there's something you like,don't like or anything,it's now or never:P

Also,I tried the red for the emissive like you suggested,tell me if you like or not!

Attachments
screenshot001.jpg
screenshot001.jpg (94.95 KiB) Viewed 8046 times
screenshot000.jpg
screenshot000.jpg (69.4 KiB) Viewed 8046 times