Drill (2)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Warvinc
Modeler

Re: Drill (2)

Post by Warvinc »

Is everything applied?normal map,specular etc.?
If so I guess it's good,but I'd like to see some better screenshot from Viech like he did for my telenode just to be sure :)

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Sure, we'll take a fancy screenshot for you. We just wanted to make sure it looked in-game as you intended.

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

Well I'll be able to tell with more screenshot in different environment in a higher picture quality :) and you also need to tell me if it looks good to you too!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

The good news is, it's ingame and I have fancy screenshots!

The bad news it, it looks like the normal map has low quality: Edges have aliasing (stairs), some areas look blurry, all in all it doesn't have the sharp & clean look it should have. Also it appears that the cylindrical shape of the main body in the high poly version didn't have more polys than in the low poly one. As a result you will notice that the illusion of "roundness" is relatively weak, as if no normal map but only phong shading was used.

I also had to edit the texture maps a bit. The specular map was way too bright for us and the diffuse map was a bit too dirty. The lights didn't align properly everywhere. I uploaded the modified textures here.

Here are the screenshots:

Here's the pk3.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

OKay well I don't really understand why the normalmap isn't looking good in your engine if mine was looking good?:/

Is there anything you want me to change tell me,I feel bad a bit that you've found so much problems and that you've tried to correct them yourself!

So just tell me if there is something you want me to do!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I wasn't talking about the normal map inside our engine but the normal map as such. Zoom in and have a look:

Note how the text is entirely sharp, so the blurryness shouldn't come from my conversion to jpg.

Don't worry, optimizing stuff with regards to our engine is our job, there's nothing you did wrong. However, the model would certainly look a lot cleaner and better if the normal map was sharp and free of artifacts such as aliasing. Currently it behaves like the normal map had a low resolution (e.g. 512² instead of the actual 2048²).

So, what I'd like you to do is compare with your local normal map source files and check whether they have the same issues. If your version isn't as blurry as the one above, something went wrong when converting or modifying the map. All the other issues might have their root in either your unwrapping/baking process or in the geometry differences of low and high poly model (either too much difference as I suspect on the spacers, which look like the low poly geometry was entirely flat or none difference were really the high poly should have had much more detail, like around the main cylinder).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

yes it looks REALLY blurry compared to mine,take a look!

And a lot of the problems you're looking at it is the ''padding'' , it's not part of the actual normal map on the model,it's like a border.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/w9te9v.jpg

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Strange. Can you send what you have?

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

done!