Drill (2)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Drill (2)

Post by Viech »

Have a look at the Drill concept made by alex_bo:

The Drill is the resource mining structure of the human team and collects some invisible resource floating around everywhere. Neutrinos, purple matter, space vibrations, something like that. :grin:

The model should be rotationally symmetric and doesn't need to have an animation (but it can have one if you figure something out). Style wise, it should be similiar to the reactor. However, it needs some different features to clarify that it doesn't distribute power but collect a resource:

• The glowing core will use a different color and effect.

• A potential animation of the Drill should not include stuff rotating around its core.

• The drill will also be much smaller as the reactor, less than half the height/width/length (so less than one eighth volume wise).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Viech
Project Head

Re: Drill (2)

Post by Viech »

Warvinc is going to model this.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Hey Warvinc, do you and Alex happen to know each other? :grin:

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

Yes well we never met each other,but we live in the same city and we speak on facebook :)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Warvinc wrote:

Yes well we never met each other,but we live in the same city and we speak on facebook :)

Not to mention you both make video games and music. Meet each other! Invite us to your wedding! :grin:

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

Hahaha you just ruined my wedding proposal,now he'll know! :announce:

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

Hey quick update!
:D
This is where I am with my low poly,is there anything you don't like,proportion or whatever?

4200 Tris

(there's nothing except AO on it)

Attachments
screenshot001.jpg
screenshot001.jpg (59.02 KiB) Viewed 16333 times
screenshot000.jpg
screenshot000.jpg (58.03 KiB) Viewed 16333 times
kangz
Programmer

Post by kangz »

Looking good so far, so only problem I see is that the attach point between the feet and the main part seems a little weak (even compared to te sketch). Also it is a bit slim so the feet will be out of the bounding box.

Warvinc
Modeler

Re:

Post by Warvinc »

kangz wrote:

Also it is a bit slim so the feet will be out of the bounding box.

You're right about the attach point,I'll change it :) but can you explain me what you mean/want with this sentence about the bounding box?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

What kangz said. The feet should be attached more strongly and the body diameter should be bigger so that it occupies more of the space of a bounding box that includes the feet. (Alternatively, if you prefer the structure to be slightly slimmer than on the concept, you could also make the feet extend less. You would also want to make them look less heavy in this case. But even then, a slight increase in diameter couldn't hurt I guess.)

Apart from this there's not much to critique. I like the simply shaped lower body but maybe you can think of some additional details on its lower end.

Regarding the poly count, I assume a lot of those triangles are used for rather small details such as the attachment between the two parts of each feet or the deails on the topmost part of the Drill. I guess this could be reduced further with good use of the normal map. Maybe try to aim for 3k tris, otherwise 4k would be fine I guess.

Seeing your latest reply, have a look at the Wikipedia article on bounding volumes. Currenly we use bounding boxes (with a square footprint) for both collision and hit detection, so parts sticking out of it could clip into walls but couldn't be hit and areas inside the box that aren't filled with geometry could still be hit. We are working on upgrading our engine there, but we don't yet have sufficiently stable results that we could base our assets on. Therefor the width of the body of structures like the Drill or Reactor should roughly match the width of their stand. This is also the main reason why I wanted you to shorten the Telenode legs. (The other reason was making it fit into small niches even if we switch to per-polygon collision detection.)