Crates & Barrels

Concept artwork for models and maps.
Viech
Project Head

Crates & Barrels

Post by Viech »

Yes, crates. This might seem a bit too basic to request a concept for, but I believe crates, barrels and doors are the most important map props as they are the ones you interact with on a regular basis.

While technically map objects don't use a bounding volume for hit or collision detection, it's desireable that their surface can be clipped flat (→ no details sticking out of it but there may be concave areas) so that wallwalking on them feels smooth. Both crates and barrels should also have a flat top, so you can use them to climb or build structures on them. Two useful crate proportions are (lwh) 443 and 446¹, since these can form nice steps for humans and at the same time provide enough surface for building.

If you want to you can sketch the props in an environment but this isn't necessary.

¹ In Quake Units this would be 64x64x47 and 64x64x94. The -1 and -2 ensure that humans with a jump height of 48 can always climb them easily, even when there are framerate or rounding issues on either client or server side. (Every frame the position of a player is calculated as a floating point value and for certain frame rates the area where a player's position is > 48 isn't hit by any of these samples.)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

janev
Marauder

Re: Map props: Crates & Barrels

Post by janev »

Pelican cases are modern crates that you see getting beat up in far away places. Might be worth a look for the artist.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Hey! Look, I've mentioned this before, but it could be lost in the local internets, so i'd rather repeat myself than allow it to be lost. This dude(http://nobiax.deviantart.com/gallery/24853853?offset=0) releases tons of sweet props with CC0 and I think they really should be widely used. Example of useful pack - http://nobiax.deviantart.com/art/Hi-Tec ... -380125588

Contents of readme included with one of the packs:

Provided by Nobiax.

CC0 1.0 Universal (CC0 1.0)
Public Domain Dedication
No Copyright
This license is acceptable for Free Cultural Works

The person who associated a work with this deed has dedicated the work to the public domain by waiving all of his or her rights to the work worldwide under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights, to the extent allowed by law.

You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.

So absolutely free to use or to modify in any kind of work (personal, commercial or else) =)

Please, give me a link of the result at nobiax.deviantart.com or my other account on OpenGameArt.com (yughues) or ShareCG.com (yughues)
( watch my journal on deviantart to find them ) ;)

Or on Youtube.

For any commissions details are on my DeviantArt account.

I think it will really make him happy and will profit Unv with high quality props

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

gavlig, please move your finding to this subforum. We don't want the concept artist to use material for inspiration that we can already make use of. :wink:

I'm aware that we might be able to find more free props on the internet but I still want to provide modelers with this type of assignmet. We can set the important proportions and add to our unique style but this will also provide a quick task to modelers that need a pause from a bigger assignment. It also allows concept artists to do environmental sketches for their portfolio, without all the additional requirements that map geometry would pose on them.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

I had a go at it.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Woah. Did you model that? It looks 3D!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Are you implying you are a multi-talented workaholic? Please tell me you are also into sound production and 3D animation. :grin:

Anyway, modeled or drawn, this needs either more sci fi or more of a functionality-centered/military-grade/professional-use design (such as the pelican cases janev wrote about). The rotating handle at the side helps this cause but the details on the other side and the bars on the top don't. A different color scheme could help, even though I don't think bars like this would be of any use (except if the box is designed around the purpose of detaining alive aliens…).

Apart from this, smaller crates could profit from a handle or atleast some space underneath for the forklift to grab them.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

It's a paintover of a quick 3D model made in Blender. I'm pretty bad at animating though :P sorry. And I know almost nothing about sound design.

The bars were taken from some other design I saw somewhere on the web for something similar. I had in mind that they were used to transport and store the crate, you know to be picked up by some machinery or something.

I didn't have much idea except for the centered lock. It has to look pretty functional as you say so as little superfluous details as possible while keeping it interesting.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallet

You could also throw in some pallets. Pallets make the world go round.