Let's design human buildings!

Request new features or present your ideas.
ViruS
Granger

Re: Let's design human buildings!

Post by ViruS »

WhiteTech wrote:

And for a new Tele, perhaps while it's building it would be packed in to the single disk on the floors, as it is similarly right now, but a smaller disk or ring extends straight up (hover or an arm) upon being complete, and instead of the constant blue/white rings, just have a warp animation when a player spawns. Sorry for using text, but my 3D modeling skills are -2.

|
| (Tele-in in between disks)
|
|_____
-------

Reminds me of the old trem 1.2 medistat design. There would be a few issues with a rod standing up (if i got that correct, it supports the upper ring) with the bboxes.
cough cough forty two said that already, silly me.
With the mgturret animation, we could look at ns2's, tf2's placement animations as an example. With our current turret design, it looks like the teeny flaps on the side do nothing and the base not big enough to support the weight of the barrel, so this is up to the animator on how this is done.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

KenuR
Tyrant

Post by KenuR »

seana11 wrote:

on #unvaquished-dev

Is it a separate game? Yes.
Is it eventually going to be very different from trem? Also yes.
But is it really a whole new game? Not really.
How much can they change really? They already made the models for most of the assets, so it's likely that most of those are staying. Sure they look different, but they are still the same old weapons and structures we saw in trem. Gameplay is bound to change, but by how much? The core principle stays the same.
I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, I just don't think that it's fair to call it a whole new game, because it's not completely independent. I guess we'll see.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

The stated goal is for it to be "a whole new game". How far the devs want to take that is up to them, but the surest way not to achieve ANY progress towards that goal is for people to shoot down ideas for being too DIFFERENT. If you change nothing it really will be exactly the same game. This is the ALPHA stage, go crazy with it. Now is the time to rethink the most basic functions of the game. imo.

On that note my suggestions so far have been pretty tame, in line with a re-skinned sequel that handles just like tremulous albeit with cooler boomsticks. Actually a discussion focused on rethinking gameplay could lead to some interesting new ideas for buildings.

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

janev wrote:

The stated goal is for it to be "a whole new game". How far the devs want to take that is up to them, but the surest way not to achieve ANY progress towards that goal is for people to shoot down ideas for being too DIFFERENT. If you change nothing it really will be exactly the same game. This is the ALPHA stage, go crazy with it. Now is the time to rethink the most basic functions of the game. imo.

On that note my suggestions so far have been pretty tame, in line with a re-skinned sequel that handles just like tremulous albeit with cooler boomsticks. Actually a discussion focused on rethinking gameplay could lead to some interesting new ideas for buildings.

Yes, we have gotten a disturbing lack of change given its alpha status.

@Node

That could be really interesting; stand on the node before it finishes, and get moved higher.

danmal

Post by danmal »

The current plan is to replace all Trem assets with new assets (all models, sounds, maps, etc) in alpha and then start making larger gameplay changes in beta.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

seana11 wrote:

That could be really interesting; stand on the node before it finishes, and get moved higher.

That sounds like the refinery from nalf's gpp server.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

seana11
Tyrant

Post by seana11 »

ViruS wrote:

That sounds like the refinery from nalf's gpp server.

I wasn't aware that tre refinery was any smaller when it was building. Could you provide a vid please?

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

seana11 wrote:

I wasn't aware that tre refinery was any smaller when it was building. Could you provide a vid please?

No. My internet is restricted quite a lot in comparison to most people's internet quotas these days. In fact, i'm sure that europeans and americans don't even have internet quotas.

If you want to see, just rejoin his server, and build a refinery. You'll see its as flat as a node (maybe a little taller), but the actual bbox is the same as its full hight.

ImageImageYou[TubeImage

WhiteTech
Mantis

Post by WhiteTech »

ViruS wrote:

No. My internet is restricted quite a lot in comparison to most people's internet quotas these days. In fact, i'm sure that europeans and americans don't even have internet quotas.

If you want to see, just rejoin his server, and build a refinery. You'll see its as flat as a node (maybe a little taller), but the actual bbox is the same as its full hight.

That actually makes some sense.... I think all the human buildings should fold in some way....

Amazonian1515
Mantis

Post by Amazonian1515 »

A radar station, that alerts when aliens are nearby? S3 of course, as this is a bit over powered if spammed.

A kind of super human station, that acts like the Human version of a booster, though not as strong as so the aliens aren't balanced out in that respect.