Pistol

Concept artwork for models and maps.
Viech
Project Head

Pistol

Post by Viech »

The pistol is a standard semiautomatic, magazine based handgun. It is more useful in combat than the blaster but is limited by ammunition. It's best purchased together with tools such as the Construction Kit or the low ranged Energy Saw but can also be used to back up heavy weapons with low ammunition, such as the Lucifer Cannon.

Style wise, we want the pistol to fit in with the other projectile based weapons, the Shotgun, SMG, HMG and Sniper Rifle:

Shotgun by Stannum:

SMG by hristew:

HMG by alex_bo:

Sniper Rifle by alex_bo:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Re: Pistol

Post by alexbo »

I'm on it! I'm on a gun streak, might as well milk it as much as possible.

I'll start sketching. If you find any cool reference feel free to show. Also, I'll try to make it as realistic as possible realistic mechanics wise.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

I looked up a few cool pistol designs on Google Images. Try taking the best from each.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I'd prefer a pistol (→ magazine based) instead of a revolver, so we can adjust the number of shots before the gun has to be reloaded.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

Revolvers can be had with anything from 5 to 9 shots these days. 5-7 is normal. 8 or 9 requires smaller bullets. They probably make a few outside that range too.

Revolvers are cool.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

I think Viech means being able to adjust the number of shots without redoing the model.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Ishq wrote:

I think Viech means being able to adjust the number of shots without redoing the model.

Yes. And even if we ignored the precise number of bullets you could see in the reload animation of a revolver, having ten or more shots would feel strange. (I'd say the result will have 8-15 shots in the range of 5-10 damage. Both ends work with a regular pistol as you can't see whether the magazine has one or two rows.)

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Hi everyone.

I did this sketch a few days ago and omitted to post it earlier. So I didn't see any of the posts after mine, sorry if it doesn't follow any of your contributions so far. I'll have a read of you have have to say but please tell where I should go from here. I'll be sure to take your comments into account while reworking/finishing/redesigning it.

Right now it along the line of the M1911 pistol. I looked at customs M1911s and made it more sci-fi-ish. It might still look too "normal" so let me know if you have any ideas to make it more futuristic, if you also think it's too contemporary.

I also really made more reasearch on the mechanics of weapons this time. That explains in part why it's more realistic and grounded in real designs.

I streamed the process... just for fun :)
https://new.livestream.com/accounts/648 ... ts/2618163

Thanks!

Attachments
pistol.jpg
pistol.jpg (208.42 KiB) Viewed 3559 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Sweet, I love the M1911 design!

I like the handle and trigger and the way that the extra long barrel and the black extension below it (I'll take it as a laser pointer, even though your laser originates above it) frames the weapon body between it (where you drew the laser).

Detail feedback in image form:

And another M1911 as a reference:

Another example of a gun with a visible slide catch where the hammer is inside the casing:

Note that a slide catch can be two sided so it can be released easily regardless of the user's handedness.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

That is a manual decocking lever. It is used on traditional double action firearms, mostly guns derived from the colt 1911, to manually drop the hammer safely from a single stage trigger pull to a "safe" dual stage trigger pull. On the first shot with a DA gun you hve to first pull back the hammer into the ready position, the second stage of the pull just drops the hammer on the firing pin. With follow up shots the slide primes the hammer so you only have to drop the hammer giving much lighter trigger pulls. Thus increasing accuracy.

Funny you should use the 1911 as inspiration. Designed by john browning in 1911 that gun saw service in both world wars, korea, and vietnam. Why not see service against alien invaders too. Today most military and police forces have moved on to better things (much debate among enthusiasts of course), and the 1911. The 1911 is mostly a show piece these days but there is also a thriving community of enthusiast shooters and modders because of its history. I learned to shoot combat pistols on the 1911 platform.

The best 1911's are made by ed brown and wilson combat if memory serves. If you really want to do the design justice look up some of those pieces. Might as well keep true to the design if we go that route. I don't see why the slide at the top shouldn't line up. There is also a weird pointy thing on the grip I don't understand.