Pistol

Concept artwork for models and maps.
janev
Marauder

Re: Pistol

Post by janev »

Correction: That is actually a thumb safety. In my defence the ones we used had a manual decocker in pretty much the same place. :)

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

update:

Janev: I checked out to he custom Wilson Combat and Browning. There so amazing!

Is there any other way to make it more modern. I made thumb safety and other buttons smaller and the mechanics internal. I figured that the futur Unvanquished people would surely figure that out.

Maybe we can put some sort of luminous indicator that indicates the safety is on or that the charger is almost empty. You know, add some electronics to a classic design to make it "techy".

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I don't know, this looks like a solid, reliable combat pistol to me. Why wouldn't they use it in the future? :grin:

Instead of simple ironsights you could add tritium sights. Then we could add a glowmap to the model to make it look extra cool.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Sure. Does the glowmap include the circular part? It's just the green dots right?

but I can't really show it in this view.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

The glow map contains just the dots and is black everywhere else. It's pretty much the same as an "addition" layer in your favorite image manipulator on top of all other layers. This is how we make our alien eyes and computer screens glow. And yes, just make the sight's shape so that there's some flat space facing backwards. Apart from that I really don't know how we could add more future to this gun. To be honest I don't think adding electronics to guns is something the military would want to to do, since it makes them less reliable (think of EMP).

Thinking of the the sniper rifle, you could check whether adding compensator vents will make the pistol look more modern. Have a look at this pistol again, I think those look quite nice. (Note that the sight on that pistol is fibre optics and not tritium and wouldn't work at night as it catches sunlight, thus the exposed fibre.)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

The compensators were a great idea!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Very cool!

I was about to say that now you are using a tritium sight in the back but a fibre sight in the front when I read "some manufacturers have started to integrate fiber optic sights with tritium vials to provide bright, high-contrast firearms sights in both bright and dim conditions." on Wikipedia. Either way, the sights look quite a bit different and I somehow like the rear one more. Maybe you'd want to make the front sight a bit more compact and only have a single glowing element facing the player instead of the fibre setup. I think the angle on the side facing the player isn't ideal for achieving futuristic looks, it remindes me of 19th century revolvers. While we're at the sights, you could also try moving the rear sight further to the rear, maybe that makes the gun look even longer.

(Tritium is a radioactive gas that shines almost by itself and can be used for night sights. Fibre just collects sunlight and points it in your direction, it doesn't glow in the dark.)

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

Yeah I would back the back sight all the way to the back of the slide (at the same time getting rid of the hump thing) so it is as far back as the hammer. I would also make the trigger guard hole bigger by expanding it upwards.That would also mean moving the slide release a bit higher up. At the business end of the gun.... what is that black 1 inch long thing between the muzzle and picatinny rail? Is that supposed to be a laser sight of some sort? A flashlight?

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Update:
Your ideas are really making it better!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

The image download stops after a few KB (varying). Tested from three different locations (2x EU, 1x NA). Having trouble loading http://www.alexbodowd.com/, too.