Armoury

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Armoury

Post by Viech »

The Armoury is the human team's weapon and armor shop. Concept by alex_bo:

According to this design, the structure would be rotationally symmetrical with three equal terminals and stands. The artifact on top would rotate whenever it's powered, showing that it's functional. When approaching the Armoury ingame, at a certain range there is the option to open a buy menu and ammunition is refilled automatically. Purchased equipment beams onto the player.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Armoury

Post by kharnov »

With regards to technical specifications:

• Aim for a tris count around 5-6k or so. You can go a little over this, but try not to go too high for performance reasons.

• Textures should be 2048 squared in a lossless format like PNG or TGA. We can convert the textures where necessary.

• Diffuse, specular, and normal maps are the only required ones. Optionally, you can make glow and gloss maps as well.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

With regards to surface material (but not necessarily color), have a look at the other human structures: Reactor and Telenode, Telenode and Turrets.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Warvinc has claimed this cool thing.

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

HEEY!

So I think I'm done with the Lowpoly(3800 triangles)

there's a lot of detail I can do with normalmap BUT if you want something done in the modelling instead of normalmap,tell me now,since it's pretty low poly count for now.

Also tell me if there's something wrong thanks!

Attachments
LowPoly.jpg
LowPoly.jpg (68.99 KiB) Viewed 6677 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Ok, I have a few ideas how to increase the detail on the low poly and also prevent some bounding box issues later:

• Move the feet a bit down and make them actually carry the armoury. Then make them smaller and move them closer to the body (see sketch).

• Remove the top dish. Some different detail on the top would be nice but this dish takes too much space for not really having a huge impact. In case you want try out a different top part, it would be nice if it could play an animation, for example rotate, whenever the armoury gets used by a player. However, players should be able to stand on top of the structure, so the top should be relatively flat.

• Since the poly count is rather low right now, you could spend some polys on the handle below the keyboard (1) as well as the screen (2). I think the screen should "come out" of the main body. Attach it to some kind of mount and tilt it downwards by a small angle. Also move the keyboard quite a bit down, since the armoury will be slightly taller than a human.

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

Great!Well the only thing I'm not sure about is the dish,I actually like how it is on the reference.

It looks like a big ''fan'' that can rotate,like you wanted.without it I think the model is pretty basic! but it's only my opinion so feel free to say whatever you want I'll do it :)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Well you are the modeler so if you like the dish go for it. I'm really just here to ensure consistency with other models and gameplay relevance. Everything else is just my personal feedback. :wink:

I feel that the dish as presented on the concept looks like it was placed loosely on top of the structure like a hat and isn't an integral part of it. It also takes quite a bit vertical space. Both could probably be fixed by moving the dish downwards "into" the main structure, for example like this:

(Note that I also reduced the base body height a bit to make some more room for the dish.)

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

Okay no problem I like the way you did it,I'll try that :)

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

So I've fixed the model like you did,for the rack holding the screen,I tried different things but it wont work because if I do,the screen will be too far compared to the keyboard since the keyboard is really close to the armoury,so I'll just make it ''in'' the cylinder with a normal map.

Question: For the texture,what do I need to put on the ''screen''?because I guess it's something that will change depending on which weapon we choose?

(If this looks okay for you I'll start the High Poly)

Attachments
LowPoly2.jpg
LowPoly2.jpg (67.73 KiB) Viewed 6599 times
LowPoly.jpg
LowPoly.jpg (64.49 KiB) Viewed 6599 times