Flame Thrower (2)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Flame Thrower (2)

Post by Viech »

The Flame Thrower is the human team's choice against small aliens and tightly packed structures. Here's the concept by alex_bo:

The tank will double as our incendiary grenade, so it should be a seperate mesh and have a (smaller) texture of its own. If it hasn't been attached to a flame thrower, a player can activate the grenade by pushing the button with the fire symbol on it deep into the casing.

If you choose to do the animations yourself, here's how reloading is supposed to work (note that some of the detail work is outdated):

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

AlexRaidock

Re: Flame Thrower (2)

Post by AlexRaidock »

Hi there. I'll take this one for a start.

Just need to know maps resolution and what painting workflow to use(PBR materials or not)???

:human:

Dam i want 2017 already...

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Ideally we would like 4096k textures. They would unlikely go into the game as such, but it is useful to have full resolution textures in case we need to make changes later. We need diffuse, normal, specular, and gloss maps. The gloss maps are baked into the normalmaps as the alpha channel. Glad to have you join! It would be great if you could keep posting your progress periodically and if you are familiar with IRC, you can get instant feedback/comments/or just hang out with the team.

IRC webchat link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=unvanquished-dev

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Are you sure the gloss map is baked into the normal and not the specular map's alpha channel? Seems like the wrong place to put something like that.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Ah, you're right! I believe it is the specular map.

AlexRaidock

Post by AlexRaidock »

High poly version done(images bellow)

Question! What poly budged for retopology??

side
side
Capture.PNG (310.92 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
persp
persp
Capture2.PNG (396.32 KiB) Viewed 3995 times

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

5-6k tris is recomenneded. 7-9k is max. Nice progress so far!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Hi Alex, looking very nice so far! :smile:

I'd like to clarify two aspects of the concept art. First, the secondary handle (the one without the trigger) was supposed to be held with the hand oriented horizontally. The circular part that you can see on the concept was meant to be the rightmost end of a longer handle that extends towards the concept's background. Note that this handle should be roughly centered above the weapon, so that its middle would match the middle of the weapon from a frontal perspective. As a consequence the attachment of the handle wouldn't go straight upwards but extend towards the viewer of the concept. Secondly, note that the tank is supposed to be turned to attach or detach, so the connection should be circular while in your current model it's oval.

Feel free to have a look at the concept thread to understand how it was designed. Of course, you can also deviate from the concept if you feel you have a better idea. :wink:

AlexRaidock

Post by AlexRaidock »

About second handle: ok, ill redo it(understand, should be like this maybe, http://www.starwarsmmolevelingguide.com ... mmando.png)
About flame tank connection: i know that it is round, pipe of main cylinder is round. What is oval, is connection part of the rifle. If it will be round too, it will be too tightly and not very stabilized. Below is examples: 1st - ok, 2nd - too
tightly

OK
OK
Capture.PNG (380.9 KiB) Viewed 3970 times
tighly
tighly
1313.PNG (104.93 KiB) Viewed 3970 times

AlexRaidock

Post by AlexRaidock »

Redone minor stuff, topology done(almost 3k for now), texturing is to go. Don't mention little black areas, they will disappear after texturing(suppose ao glitch)
:human:

screen01.png (408.48 KiB) Viewed 3952 times
screen02.png (135.22 KiB) Viewed 3952 times