Booster

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
jdreyna
Modeler

Re: Booster

Post by jdreyna »

Here is a bit of an update to the changes to the face. Also the spire like legs are now part of the full mesh as they were separate in the first image. Let me know if this is going in the right direction.

face.jpg
face.jpg (123.81 KiB) Viewed 4347 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

This looks quite low-poly. Just for clearity: The high poly version has no poly limit, it can have millions of polygons if necessary. Before the polycount is reduced for the low poly version, all detail work should be done. The high poly version is then used to bake the normal map.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

jdreyna
Modeler

Post by jdreyna »

Right, I am aware. I just am wondering if this is more of the direction of design for the face, compared to what I showed before.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

This is going in the right direction, yes. Eyes aren't quite in proportion, they are too big. Holes between them seem rather big, too. Maybe make the latter less round and more like wrinkles.

Other alien structure face concepts you could have a look it are those of the barricade and the hive (the latter would need further improvements around the eyes but has nice mandibles). You could also use the playable alien classes for inspiration, such as the dretch. The important recurring part are the six glowing eyes, organized in two rows. Apart from that you can get creative and add details that aren't present on the booster concept, such as mandibles.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

jdreyna
Modeler

Post by jdreyna »

just an update on the face design, smaller eyes, more wrinkles. Needs more asymmetry but I always work toward making most of the detail up front and then adding more changes right before finalizing the model. Let me know if this looks closer.
btw, I have discovered that projecting detail from a dynameshed zbrush model has added a lot of grid detail to my model so I have started to smooth up some of the lines you can see in this picture. The model is over 1 million after reprojection so with more cleanup we'll get some better detail in over the next few days.

boosterupdate.jpg
boosterupdate.jpg (128.33 KiB) Viewed 4340 times
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Nice face there, I like those small details you're adding, especially the little pockmarks around the edges. The 'legs' are adorably stubby too. I'm sure that the humans won't be able to live with themselves for firing upon this poor creature. Even better if you give it beady black eyes!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Yes, this is coming out nicely! Now they eyes are a tad too small though, try about this size:

jdreyna
Modeler

Post by jdreyna »

Just an update for today, most of the finer skin detail is in here as well as an update on the size of the eyes. If all looks good, I will paint it either tonight or tomorrow and unwrap and start creating all the maps and such.

boosterupdate1.jpg
boosterupdate1.jpg (140.45 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Yes, this looks very good! Go ahaed!

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

I love it!