Booster

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
jdreyna
Modeler

Re: Booster

Post by jdreyna »

Gotta love that Zbrush!

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

We're currently waiting on gavlig to animate the model, so give him some time. If all goes well we should have our blobby brown friend in this coming release. Really, the only animations it needs are various forms of jiggling.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

So, as i said, automatic decimation doesn't work here. Especially highly detailed places (like holes). Here are some shots that will prove my point:

http://i.imgur.com/QtrqKs1.png

And some advice on retopo:

<gavlig> red line are the loops that can easily be removed and it won't hurt quality
<gavlig> it's just an example of what he should do
<gavlig> leave form-defining loops and remove loops that give extra smoothness, but no details
<gavlig> quad model has nice edge-flow
<gavlig> but it's too dense

http://i.imgur.com/4IG71Y9.png

i don't want to animate model that has shading artifacts even before it was animated.

jdreyna
Modeler

Post by jdreyna »

Thank you for the reply gavlig, I have to unfortunately state that I might not be able to make these changes for some time. I am starting a new job and it will most likely eat up all of my time for the next month. If someone feels up to the challenge of changing topology or if someone is also a Zbrush person that would care to see my original dynameshed model I would gladly pass that on. It pains me to have to give up on what I have worked on thus far, but I honestly won't have any time over the next 4 weeks to get a chance to even look at it. Let me know what you think, and I will of course be looking at the forum here and there to see how I can contribute.

jdreyna
Modeler

Post by jdreyna »

If I have some time this coming week, I will try to look at the original model and see if I can retopologize it all by hand. I had originally used Zremesher which is suppose to simplify the process. I will see if I can get the quad model below the 5 k limit. Which by the way, what should the quad limit be for a tri poly model? I can't make the quad model 5 k as that is about 10 k tri's right? Let me know.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

5-6k tris...so about 2.5-3k quads

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

The model itself looks nice. It's a good model, the issue itself is just in the mesh for the animations. Otherwise, it has a good texture job and fits the concept perfectly.

jdreyna
Modeler

Post by jdreyna »

Thanks Ishq for the response, I never can remember the conversion. I think what I plan on doing later today after a final interview at this job is to come back and to bring the low poly into maya and see if I can, just like gavlig stated, reduced the model down by taking out some of the unnecessary loops that just add extra smoothing. I think when that guide I can get the 6 k quad model down to 2.5 to 3 k. It may take some time but I think it can be done. I'll update you all tonight with what I have. I realize also that I can't give up on this at this point as it is honestly almost there, so thank you all for staying so patient with me.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Generally two tris = 1 quad. (Think square being split across the diagonal.)

jdreyna
Modeler

Post by jdreyna »

Just an update for you all, I had to kind of backtrack as it were. I basically had to go back to retopologizing by hand this time. Note to anyone who is using it, Zremesher is a great product when you really want something somewhat usable, but when it comes to actually meshing something the way you want, better to just do it all by hand. So here is the news: The new quad model is 1.7 k. I had to reproject everything but I will be including an update with some photos soon after dinner and if the model looks good to gavlig's likings I will send it along. Also the UV maps are a bit different so I will be including a zip with the updated texture models. Thanks again everyone for your patience.