Booster

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Booster

Post by Viech »

This poor bastard is an alien structure that heals closeby aliens and makes their next bites poisonous. When healing, it dispenses gas in a similiar manner as the acid tube. Concept by alex_bo.

In addition to the idling, pain and a death animation it needs an animation for the gas dispension. You can do them yourself or have us assign them to an animator.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

jdreyna
Modeler

Re: Booster

Post by jdreyna »

I'd like to give this one a go.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Have fun! :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us in this thread or elsewhere.

jdreyna
Modeler

Post by jdreyna »

Any particular polycount you would like me to hit? Also in terms of mapping files, I am assuming, Diffuse, Specular, Normal or Displacement...anything else I am forgetting?
Also if I plan on animating the static, death and pain moves, is this just a standard FBX export? The answer to this last one will take a little bit though as I am in the final stages of both sculpting and retopologizing, once I finish that step I will submit the designs for your folks approval.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

6-8k tris would be recommended, but it's even better if you can get below that for performance reasons.

Regarding texture maps, we have support for diffuse, specular, normal, glow, and gloss. The latter two probably aren't necessary for this, so you can just do the diffuse, specular, and normal maps.

When exporting, it depends. If you plan on animating this, the answer will be different, but if you'd like someone else to animate it, just export it as an OBJ file. However, if you'd like to do it, the export will be to the IQM format.

jdreyna
Modeler

Post by jdreyna »

Here is an update, it is symmetrical so it will require adding some a-symmetry, but I would like some feedback if this is fitting the design. Also I will decimate this soon so I can get it down to a 5k tri model as well.

booster.jpg
booster.jpg (204.23 KiB) Viewed 10693 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I'm currently a bit busy, I'll give you detailed feedback tomorrow.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Nice, that was fast! Looks like a very good start. Viech will tell you more, he handles our art direction.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Ok, first of all the general shape looks good. Proportions of all the elements are fine, too. Apart from the symmetry you mentioned, the head needs some more work. The best reference for further detailing (and also texturing) would be the "acid tube" (the codename doesn't quite fit it anymore, it's more of a "gas flower" now).

Here's the low poly version with normal, specular and glow map (the latter for the eyes) applied:

As you can see, the six eyes are only part of a face, so feel free to add more defining elements such as teeth to your model. For a start it might be wise to simply copy the face of the acid tube, as both species are obviously close relatives. (Both of them emit vapors from their pores, the acid tube to repel intruders and the booster to heal teammates.)

You can imagine alien structures to be former creatures that evolved into immobile forms. Their feet turned into hooks or similiar limbs that allow them to stick to surfaces (in some cases even to wall and ceiling, although the booster will most likely stay on the ground) but they still have a face and sometimes arms that will idle and show pain reactions when hit.

Note that the acid tube is really symmetrical but it doesn't quite look like it. However, due to the flat shape of the booster you might want to go with an actual assymetric version.