Barricade

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
SyphonX
Modeler

Re: Barricade

Post by SyphonX »

I'll play around with the tentacle colors ranges and see what compliments well. I'll also make the eyes more of a glowing solid color than the concept.

SyphonX
Modeler

Post by SyphonX »

Texture Pass 2. Alternative look to the tentacles. The color has been changed to provide a more distinct separation from the more fleshly body. At the time of texturing I was thinking of the tentacles for an octopus and the inflatable nature of the creature, while the spikes and boney colors were used to give the tentacles a bit of solidity. Eyes have been changed to be in line with the stylized alien eyes.

Overall, I'm not too sure about the purple hue, but it felt the most appropriate out of the other alien models that I sampled. Colors came more from the tyrant and acid tube than the the little green creature. Other alien models were within the orange/brown range and that wouldn't have change the colors enough from my first initial texture pass. Blueish/Green hues that i tested felt a bit off from the body.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

While the former colors were too similiar, it might be that the current colors are too distinct. :smile:

You may want to try a few things that come to your mind as it's hard for me to tell a good matching color in advance. Maybe dark red instead of dark purple? Or a color-gradient on the tentacles that goes from a more body-like color (on the lower part of the tentacles) to the new purple tone?

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Geno527
Dretch

Post by Geno527 »

Viech wrote:

Or a color-gradient on the tentacles that goes from a more body-like color (on the lower part of the tentacles) to the new purple tone?

I think it's the best idea.

SyphonX
Modeler

Post by SyphonX »

Texture pass 3. I took the gradient idea and made the tentacles transition from a muscle-like structure to a more bone like tip. I decided to go with more muscle and cartilage like colors as the transition felt more natural. The tentacles have that deadly death weed look.

Angle view

Front view

Back view

Diffuse only render

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

+1 for deadly death weed. I'm pretty happy with the texture! You want to call the model done? If yes, we just need a license and can hand it to gavlig for animation (except if you wanted to animate it yourself). :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

SyphonX
Modeler

Post by SyphonX »

Yeah I would say it is done. Any more changes and it would be incremental at best. I will package the files and send them to kharnov as soon as I can to be sent down the pipeline.

This work is licensed under a CC-BY-SA 3.0 license, attribute it to Ted "SyphonX" Chow.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Sweet! Can't wait to see it move. :smile: