Jetpack

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Osiris
Modeler

Re: Jetpack

Post by Osiris »

I really enjoy this design but would definitely benefit from some detail in the texture...bolts, rivets, access panels, would give it a little depth and not appear as flat.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

@lhdc: normal map doesn't cover a big part of mesh. Have you met any difficulties with backing them to low poly?

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

yes, i had so problems, and since the normal was not needed for most of the model, i decided to clean some part. The geometry is using the smoothing groups to keep the forms in the right place

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

yeah, that's the problem, smoothing groups are not actually portable.

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

really? O_O
but when i made this i asked abouth the smoothing groups, you guys changed something?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I didn't know that, but this explains our issues with the drill also. Can you export in a way were the smoothing groups are baked into the normal map? If yes, we'd like another copy off the normal maps of all models you made so far… :grin:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

I could try to bake high poly, maybe blender will not have bugs you've encountered and have some others and we will combine both versions and get a nice solid shiny drill! :D

lhdc
Modeler

Post by lhdc »

i have the full version of the normal, will email it!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

lhdc, please take part in this discussion.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

The jetpack has been exported properly and is just pending a small fix for the normal map, which shows little artifacts. Read here for more.

After figuring out the remaining issues with the normal map, if you want to, I can make a series of promo ingame shots of the fixed jetpack for your portfolio.