Sniper Rifle

Concept artwork for models and maps.
janev
Marauder

Re: Sniper Rifle

Post by janev »

I colored the parts I don't understand, see the attached image.

• The scope is a bit too far forwards.
  • The ejection port is still too small
  • The square bit on the forward handle
  • There is a lot of wasted space between the trigger and magazine. The finger guard is also very big.
  • The square bit on the stock behind the grip/trigger

Quality is good though. :thumbup:

Attachments
1495288_545400415535899_1891570377_o.jpg
1495288_545400415535899_1891570377_o.jpg (216.02 KiB) Viewed 5619 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

It might be best to have the brass ejector on one side and the charge bolt on the other. Both can take more space and also the charging handle could show on the left side (reload animation) while the brass doesn't fly through the screen.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Viech wrote:

(Make the holes on the muzzle aligned or make it an actual recoil compensator by only having openings at the top, but at an angle where the muzzle fire doesn't get into your sight.)

I kinda tried to do that but how do you imagine putting the holes on top without getting into the sight?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

For example two stripes of holes with a 90° angle between them (off by 45° if you use the horizon as a reference), like this:

On the other hand, while a pistol needs to compensate the momentum applied to your wrist, a rifle supposedly has more knockback going straight into your shoulder. Therefor very heavy rifles that are usually shot from the ground don't compensate by leading the gas upwards but they lead it slightly in the direction of the shooter to decrease the impact on the shoulder, like this:

The wikipedia article about muzzle rise explains some of this further.

Having this in mind, just go with what you think looks best. :grin:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

I'm on it!

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Update:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Not sure whether I like the new proportions more, but at this level of quality it doesn't quite matter. :tongue:

Maybe also remove the lower row of muzzle holes (and move the remaining four holes a little backwards)? Having the sum of them lead the fire downwards is the one option that doesn't make sense, since this would increase the muzzle rise effect.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Tu proportions' fix was under Janev's demand so it's hard to have it be perfect for everyone.

For the muzzle, it's great that you explained that I'm still very ignorant of weapon mechanics, well a t least for someone making concepts for weapons.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Weapon mechanics? For being more of a pacifist, I'm becoming increasingly versed in it. :grin:

Call the concept done?

Unvanquished Industries – Making the universe a better place by designing guns that look cool but don't work since 2313.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

If you like it as it is - call it done!