Sniper Rifle

Concept artwork for models and maps.
Viech
Project Head

Sniper Rifle

Post by Viech »

So, like every good FPS we need a sniper rifle! And since we have the universal "It's the future – sure this thing works!" excuse we aren't limited to any particular real world design either. (Tremulous had the "Mass Driver", a weapon that 1) technically uses energy ammunition 2) is said to shoot projectiles and 3) had a nuclear hazard as its icon … I think we have a carte blanche here.) Possible inspiration could be a coilgun or a railgun or soemthing entirely different.

Here are the requirements:

• Uses clips with ca. 5-7 shots each, can be reloaded.

• Has a scope that the player can use.

• Is held like a real sniper rifle: One hand at the trigger, the other stabilizing the barrel.

alex_bo wants to work on this.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Re: Sniper Rifle

Post by alexbo »

I'm on it right after the armoury!

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

So here's the basic shape of the sniper rifle. Let me know how you like it so far, if there's anything that bugs you.

Attachments
sniper rifle.jpg
sniper rifle.jpg (236.15 KiB) Viewed 5033 times
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Nice. I wonder if we have to stay with the "rail gun" effect we currently have right now, or perhaps we can transition to physical rounds?

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

There are a lot of details that don't look like they belong. Why would you want to have pointy square things on the forward hand-guard? Moving to less angular elements is probably a good thing in general. The buttstock should have the standard ergonomic features you see on a modern long distance rifle. Adjustments back and forth for different length arms; and up and down for ensure a good cheek weld.

For the grip I'd go with a pistol grip with a normal trigger guard (think m4 carbine etc) or the standard hunting rifle style grip with trigger guard.

The magazine on this gun needs to be wider and longer than usual. It shoots big f'ing bullets. (think barrett .50 cal box magazine)

You might even go with a bullpup rifle design where the clip is inserted at the very back of the gun to give you a long barrel while keeping the overall package short. That is a futuristic design and would suit a sniperrifle since the main drawback to bullpup designs is the slow reload. If you want to go that route you have to clear it with the animation folks because it might need a new animation. Google "bullpup sniperrifle" for ideas.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

So, first of all the overall design and highlighting seems to match the SMG and Flamer quite well. I also like the looks of the scope and barrel. A few things need optimization though, some of which were already mentioned by janev.

• The lower side of the barrel needs to have a smooth area where it can be held, it looks indeed too unergonomic.

• Configuration options for the buttstock as janev proposed sound like a good idea. I don't think being able to move it up- and downwards is important for us though, no other weapon has this option.

• The carrying handle on top of the buttstock is too small and way out of the center of mass to be of any use. (I also don't think this weapon needs to have a carrying handle, it's supposed to be a light-ish scout weapon.)

• The trigger handle seems too small to fit a hand (compare with the SMG, hristew had to widen that area further). It needs to extend further down.

• I agree with janev that a bigger clip would probably look better. Also the angle at the lower end looks good but is unrealistically big.

• The end of the scope facing the user is too small, seems very hard to look through it.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

Yeah the adjustable stock doesn't have to be actually functional... It's just one of those details you see on every modern precision rifle.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

Bullpups

bigger bullpup

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Alright this a lot of stuff to work with, great!

I'd just like to point out, even though it's not very clear on that image that to carrying handle is not one. It's simply the cheek rest that you see on most rifles of the type.

For the bullpup, that design doesn't inspire me that much in aesthetic terms so I wouldn't gravitate naturally towards that. And it doesn't seem to be particularly useful for the shooter as a design. I'm affraid it would also be invisible in the first person view, leaving only a long thin canon to bee seen. If you really want me to try I could however. I'm always open to have the best design possible.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

alex_bo wrote:

Alright this a lot of stuff to work with, great!

I'd just like to point out, even though it's not very clear on that image that to carrying handle is not one. It's simply the cheek rest that you see on most rifles of the type.

For the bullpup, that design doesn't inspire me that much in aesthetic terms so I wouldn't gravitate naturally towards that. And it doesn't seem to be particularly useful for the shooter as a design. I'm affraid it would also be invisible in the first person view, leaving only a long thin canon to bee seen. If you really want me to try I could however. I'm always open to have the best design possible.

From a purely real world functional point of view bullpups are great because they pack down small. You can get a very long barrel while still keeping the overall package manageable. Longer barrels give greater projectile speeds and greater accuracy. A shorter overall package is nice when you need to transport the thing or maneuver in tight spaces. By the way, with projectile weapons the usable barrel length starts where the magazine does. So with this design half of the total length of the gun goes towards just making the whole package longer, that is why on some of those rifles I posted earlier the magazine is very close to the trigger.

Back to the game world you have a point that it might look odd when most of the time all you see is the barrel of the gun and the rest is obscured by the playermodels arms.

Minor niggle, make the ejection port be right above the magazine and also be big enough to throw out the expended brass.