SMG update

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

SMG update

Post by kharnov »

Here are some updates on the SMG!

As mentioned earlier this month, a new modeler to join our team, Vlad "hristew" Hristev, has been working on the SMG weapon. It will be replacing the classic Tremulous rifle, and we may continue to alter its gameplay properties. The model is approaching completion, and with any luck, it may be in this coming release or the January one. Awesome model, isn't it?

Click here to read this article on the main site!

ViruS
Granger

Re: SMG update

Post by ViruS »

Looks pretty cool in that 3D render indeed.
Is the shoulder rest supposed to be like a spring to absorb the sudden recoils? If so, that animation should be reversed to make more sense.

Good job Vlad!

@Kharnov: I don't see why can't we keep the rifle and the SMG seperate. An SMG is generally meant for close-combat while a rifle isn't, so I don't see why we can't keep both to optimise gameplay variety.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

I think the lasgun (or whatever we rename it to) will take up the niche of the old rifle. Or maybe we'll end up adding another weapon. Who knows.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

Correct. The rifle is too powerful of a weapon to give out for free. Making it less useful at long ranges makes it a more fitting starting weapon.

Elmo
Dretch

Post by Elmo »

Add another weapon!
more is always better.

One thing I want to ask is will there be a color theme for the human team?
The jetpack had cyan and yellow and grey, this is orange and grey, Colors are probably the easiest change so it would be kinda cool to see a human scheme to match weapons, armor and equipment.

Long live the legacy of:
[COM] [OPP] [ICE] =USA=
|AoD|[_MS} .!vR ?FH: .^
And many more...

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

the model indeed looks very good.

some questions:
I assume the clip goes into the forehand grip? if so shouldn't the clip stick out a little on the bottom?
any animations on reloading to show?
Are there going to be new sounds as well on its release? especially propper reloading sounds?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Viech wrote:

Rifle → SMG is mostly a rename to match the new appearance, it doesn't imply any gameplay changes. However, we might want to revisit the gun's attributes some day, too.

Please stop putting so much thoughts into a name, otherwise we will start naming new stuff after random numbers.

Elmo, you are right, we should probably revisit all the human and alien textures at some point to match them in color usage and brightness. The concepts and models were done by different artists and while we try to achieve consistency it's impossible to do so on a hue-of-marks-on-a-gun level just yet.

Dwarf, the clip and the reload animations aren't done yet. We will have new sounds when we find sound designers that can keep up motivation for longer than a weekend.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Tom
Dragoon

Post by Tom »

I'm a little mixed about this model :confused:, its light colors, its orange lines, these are only details but I would like to see it with darker colors. From a structural point of view now:

• What is the thing circled in red i[/i] in my attached screenshot?
  • Why the chamber (from where cartridges are extracted through the ejection port) is not aligned with the charger i[/i]?

rolandixor
Dretch

Post by rolandixor »

I would be interested in seeing some new weapons added.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

Ishq wrote:

Correct. The rifle is too powerful of a weapon to give out for free. Making it less useful at long ranges makes it a more fitting starting weapon.

True, but not true.
Ask the person who buffed its damage rate.

An SMG to me would be more like a small clip, but high damage rate provided you exclude reloading. One thing that tremulous never had was a gun that was insufficient to kill an acid tube in one clip.