Spotlight: dragoon

Talk about anything related to Unvanquished.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Spotlight: dragoon

Post by kharnov »

Here's the dragoon.

Concept: Khaos
Model: Osiris

The dragoon is the first heavy assault form available to the alien team, and retains this capacity throughout the entire game. With both a large amount of health and a potent melee attack, the dragoon is a terrifying beast at close range, tearing apart unarmored humans in a matter of seconds and providing a challenge even to protected humans. However, this is tempered by the slow rate of attack and the dragoon's particularly large size, which makes it an easy target. Despite its bulk, the dragoon is surprisingly mobile, possessing a pounce attack that both allows it to slam itself into humans for heavy amounts of damage, as well as reaching otherwise inaccessible locations. The upgraded form of the dragoon can also spit barbs over a long arc.

Much like the marauder, we view the dragoon to be particularly well designed. It can be used in a variety of contexts, from picking off lone humans to taking apart undefended bases, especially with the aid of the barbs. Most of our changes to the dragoon have been to fix bugs with its attacks that have been present since Tremulous GPP. On the other hand, we are still open to suggestions, even though the dragoon fulfills a particularly broad niche.

What would you be interested in seeing with the dragoon? Or, are you content to see it remain the same?

Click here to read this article on the main site!

DwarfVader
Mantis

Re: Spotlight: dragoon

Post by DwarfVader »

I would like to see it remain as it is in terms of its abilities.
however i would like to see some visual improvements: a (center?) hole in his headshield where the barbs are shot from and an animated barb in terms of size and apperance ( not as big as a luci energy ball and certainly not animated as energy but maybee a little bug like "projectile" or something else more animal like ) to make this whole barb firing process more logical ( maybee derived in some way from the exisitng hive fire animation ? )

In general I would like to see the whole alien "shooting" mechanics visualy improved ( dragoon barbs, granger spit and hive ). Maybee your designers could come up with an appealing modernized solution matching the graphic standard this game has archieved?

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

DwarfVader wrote:

I would like to see it remain as it is in terms of its abilities.
a (center?) hole in his headshield where the barbs are shot from

You mean the mouth?

AirstrikeITA

Post by AirstrikeITA »

It's so beautiful, I really like the outcome, your 3d modelers are awesome!

DwarfVader
Mantis

Post by DwarfVader »

You mean the mouth?

lol i wasn't aware that the barbs come out of the dragoons mouth, but ok then ...

the question remains: any visual improvements planed for the barb "shooting" process ( or spit or throw or whatever ) ?

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Yes, we will make a new particle effect when it comes to that point.

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

I :thumbup: it, but the legs look so stumpy to the point they'll be useless for quick maneuvering like the marauder's concept drawing. I don't really like the smooth edges of the headplate, they kinda resemble the disgusting headplate of the "newer" md3 dragoon. At least extend the legs.
It kinda resembles the tremulous dragoon a bit too much without relation to the current tyrant honestly. :bugeyes:

The actual sniping animation of tremulous dragoon was hidden, and you actually had to hold pounce while sniping to view the animation.
The animation consisted of the arms swinging up charging, then contracting them together and mashing the into the ground.
note: the taunt animation was also longer, the tail should've wagged left/right, can be seen if you bunnyhopped
But I agree with dwarf, there should be evidence of where the barbs originate from.

Yes, we will make a new particle effect when it comes to that point.

I actually liked rotacak's "acid shower" tracer effect.
Maybe a more noticeable explosion could be inputted for the barb's impact as currently it just splits into tiny fragments that hard to see from far, where sniping is actually "sniping"

rolandixor
Dretch

Post by rolandixor »

I love this new design.I will need to give new features some thought and maybe hop on to IRC (ugh, I hate IRC) and discuss them :)P.S. will barbs be renamed? Barbs seems like a pretty lame name for something you spit.

rolandixor
Dretch

Post by rolandixor »

[quote="AirstrikeITA"]It's so beautiful, I really like the outcome, your 3d modelers are awesome![/quote]Yeah they are! I wish I had their computers ;)(I could model WAY better if my system could handle higher poly models :)

ViruS
Granger

Post by ViruS »

rolandixor wrote:

I love this new design.I will need to give new features some thought and maybe hop on to IRC (ugh, I hate IRC) and discuss them :)P.S. will barbs be renamed? Barbs seems like a pretty lame name for something you spit.

IRC: You'll get used to it if you used MSN before.

Barbs: Agreed. It's no longer a direct-attack projectile since gpp too.