Flame Thrower (2)

Concept artwork for models and maps.
Viech
Project Head

Re: Flame Thrower

Post by Viech »

First of all, proportions are fine in this version. I also understand the tank tray now, this is a nice idea! I just realized reloading the gun isn't easy due to the handles and the weight so a quick-load system like this has its advantages. I still think the axis/mount looks a bit too filigree and that might be solvable by increasing the width/radius of the elements but I understand that this might not work too well together with the way the tank tray is supposed to function. The part of the tray/mount with the sliding element (left side) could maybe profit from a more stable appearance though. The one on the right looks quite stable due to the reinforcements with the khaki material.

So let's enter refinement phase! Here are a few more suggestions for detail work:

flamer1_viech1.jpg
flamer1_viech1.jpg (183.79 KiB) Viewed 3549 times

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

For the grenade/gas tank, could I have right red graphic, perhaps stripes and a fire pictogram like you suggested? I feel that giving the whole material a colour would make a visually unbalanced design.

I'll also add a handle our grip part where you indicated. It should make it look cooler in that area.

For the trigger hand I don't really know what to do but I'll figure it out.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

alex_bo wrote:

For the grenade/gas tank, could I have right red graphic, perhaps stripes and a fire pictogram like you suggested? I feel that giving the whole material a colour would make a visually unbalanced design.

Sure, whatever you deem best looking.

alex_bo wrote:

For the trigger hand I don't really know what to do but I'll figure it out.

Compare my sketch with your latest version, I made the lower end round.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Update: what do you think?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I like it! You did everything I asked for and also improved the trigger. Details are good and consistent with the SMG. I showed the latest iteration to Stannum who's a perfectionist when it comes to gun design and he noted that the tank to gun size ratio is off. I don't agree that the tank is too small (nothing tells us it has to host a few liters of petroleum, it can very well carry some dense plasma stuff … Science, duh!) but I do agree that the weapon body looks quite heavy. However, I think this can be fixed very easily by collapsing the main body just a little bit, like this (compare with your version for the changes):

flame_thrower_by_laesir-d6uv4ok_viech1.jpg
flame_thrower_by_laesir-d6uv4ok_viech1.jpg (140.74 KiB) Viewed 3520 times

Apart from that, I think we're done here! :smile:

Since you like designing guns, do you want to work on a sniper rifle next? There's already a model assignment on it since we have a placeholder model to be used as a reference but I'm sure the result will be much better if we have a concept from you! You'd have a lot of freedom on this one, too, since there aren't many requirements to be fulfilled (just a few, which I'd line out in a post then).

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Great I'll work on making the body lighter tomorrow, I hope at least. I love you science justifications by the way :P.

A sniper riffle would be awesome. Who doesn't want to design sci-fi sniper rifles!

If you have any environment concepts that need illustration I would be interested. Even for promotional purposes or whatnot. I really need to work on my environment skills. So any kind of brief for that would be great if it's possible.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

alex_bo wrote:

If you have any environment concepts that need illustration I would be interested. Even for promotional purposes or whatnot. I really need to work on my environment skills. So any kind of brief for that would be great if it's possible.

It's possible, in theory I can turn your environment concepts into a map. However, there are two main problems: First of all we are very low on mapping resources. We don't have any map props (I'll start assigning some as soon as we have all the more important concepts done, which isn't far from now) but more importantly we lack high quality texture sets. If you have a look at our new maps (kharnov is currently writing daily front page articles on them) you'll notice that some of the textures have been used quite frequently as there are currently just three usable texture sets (though EmperorJack has started working on his own textures). The second problem is the amount of gameplay requirements a map needs to fulfil when two very different teams are pitted against each other. Layouting is something best left to very experienced players but even a simple hallway has to allow different alien forms to play out their movement attacks, hide or dodge a confrontation. If you are interested anyway you can have a look at this thread, were I explained a good amount of these requirements to another concept artist.

alex_bo wrote:

A sniper riffle would be awesome. Who doesn't want to design sci-fi sniper rifles!

Yeah, I thought so, here we go. :grin:

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Awesome, proportions are perfect now!

alexbo
Concept Artist

Re: Flame Thrower (2)

Post by alexbo »

Wouhoo! so are you sure everything is 100% ok?