Telenode (2)

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

Re: Telenode (2)

Post by Viech »

Yeah, looking really nice ingame! Here's a shot on Parpax:

(Color grading disabled. There's a red light source above the scene. It seems the glowmap isn't active. Note that it's currently much bigger than it will be later on.)

Did I say I love your color choice?

(Color grading enabled. Blue dominant light source from above, weaker orange one from the left.)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Yeah, the node came out really good. We're going to take more shots after we add the glow/gloss maps to the shader.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

So, I would say all in all this is pretty great. :smile:

The one thing I'd do is make the dirt on the main platform a tad less visible and also add a very weak trace of it (even less than on the main platform) to the top of the flaps, since currently the dirt looks a bit too selectively placed:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

No problem I'll do that!I'm really happy of the result in the engine!

I'll wait for the pictures including gloss and emissive before doing any changes so I'll be able to do all the changes at once! :)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Glow map works now, one shot with and one without bloom (both with color grading):

(Bloom disabled.)

(Bloom enabled.)

I think the glow on the side lamps should match the diffuse colors a bit more by being less of a continuous stripe of light. The same applies to the charge bar ligths. (The bloom effect is supposed to create the "bleeding" of light over adjacent surfaces so you don't need to put much of this in the glow map. A little bit is fine though.)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Granger for scale.

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

So I can pretty much only put glow on the ''bar'' that light instead on everything because the bloom will do the rest?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Warvinc wrote:

So I can pretty much only put glow on the ''bar'' that light instead on everything because the bloom will do the rest?

Yeah, as a general rule you don't need to blurr/bloom/bleed the glow over the boundaries of the actual light source. In other words, glow maps can contain sharp edges. A very small amount can still improve the looks in case the lamp is supposed to look very bright but for simple control lamps like those on the telenode I'd go without any bleed for a start and let bloom do the rest.

Warvinc
Modeler

Post by Warvinc »

Okay so if I understand well,I can only do a black and white glow map,and the bloom will do the rest to blend with the color

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Warvinc wrote:

Okay so if I understand well,I can only do a black and white glow map,and the bloom will do the rest to blend with the color

No, that's not what I meant! This has nothing to do with color. What I'm saying is that you don't need to use any form of blurr filter when you create the glow map.

In a nutshell: Make your glowmaps look more like this:

and less like this:

Since the engine's gloom filter will add this "glowing" effect.

I just had a look on your glowmaps, the issue is different. Let me show you what I mean in a few minutes.