can you see that?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyypupyuy4kpsnj/armoury2.jpg

(me right now:)

Viech
Project Head

Re: Armoury

Post by Viech »

Yes I can. :smile:

Body looks good so far! There are a few issues related to proportions of leg and body but let me give you a detailed post later. I really have to start on my homework now. :confused:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

As already mentioned I like the body. Not sure if there is some sort of door on it but it doesn't really matter, because teleportation. So let's just leave it like that.

The one issue left are proportions. And also the tiresome issue of bounding boxes for both collision (very likely to stay forever like that) and hit (there is a very sublte chance this might change some day in the far future but we should better not presume it).

With your concept, there would be two options: Have the bounding box go around the actual boundaries, aka the stands. That would mean that 1) you have the false impression you could use the solid legs to climb on top of the structure and, much more annoying, 2) you would constantly hit your own buildable when defending the base, because you'd try to shoot next to the Armoury but hit its invisible wall instead. The second option would be having the bounding box span the body part but exclude the feet. This is definitely less annoying for the humans as they don't hit it accidentially but then there will be graphical glitches were the feet reach into a wall or were a dretch practically hides inside that massive foot. Aliens would also need to get unintuitively close to the structure to be able to harm it.

Here's my proposal to solve this:

• Decrease the size of the feet significantly, or atleast the amount they stand out.

• Make the body broader so that the overall footprint of the building stays roughly where it is right now.

Apart from that, there's only one area that I can imagine to be improved, which is the top part. The little tubes and the ceiling held by them makes the structure look taller but don't yet seem to serve a purpose apart from that. Tremulous' Armoury had the big issue that you couldn't see at a glance whether it was powered or not and I'd like to change this with the new model. So instead of the current top, I'd love to see some visibly rotating/moving element.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Are these proportions okay?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Yes, much better.

Do you plan on adding or changing anything or shall we consider this complete?

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

oh it's just a beginning! I you have any ideas pleas let me know.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

I like this concept, because it makes much more sense than the old armory. Plus, it looks more compact and like something you can fit in a cramped base.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Hmm, I guess what could be optimized is the new top since the line between old and new area seems a bit too clean (the new part looks more like it was put on top than being an integral part). Also the feet could use a little more detail.

If you want you could experiment with more moving objects such as a robotic arms directed at a player standing in front of the terminal that play a beaming animation whenever something is purchased. Not sure if this would look too cluttered though. Also the same bounding box restrictions would apply, so moving parts shouldn't extend beyond the feet.

By the way, did you see the sniper rifle thread I opened for you?

Oh and don't mind the goats and goose, kharnov is in the process of turning the forums into a farm.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Hoe does that look? I didn't include the mechanical arms but the little holes on either side of the door would serve that.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

It looks quite awesome. :smile: