Armoury

Concept artwork for models and maps.
Viech
Project Head

Re: Armoury

Post by Viech »

This looks quite interesting, I guess we're on the right track regarding size and features.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

I've gotta admit this design is a bit of a mystery to me. Where does the gun come out? How do you select a gun? What are the moving parts (if any) in the animation? Where is the maintenance access? Is there a "printing" animation behind the window and a "teleportation animation" for that left door?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

The gun teleports to the user, it is selected via the UI or binds (inside the fiction: By pressing one of the buttons), parts could move behind that window, the circle thing could rotate after the print job is done. Do you have a better idea for an effect? I have to admit, I didn't put much creative power into the Armoury before opening the assignment but I guess any effect is better than the current version which only has idling and death animations states.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

I always imagined that the armory would use nanobots or something to create the weapon in your hands and automatically decompose the previous weapon for later reuse. Nano bots only have limited range, hence the armory use radius. Of course, we can bs any story. This just allows some cooler effects like a gun materializing white and slowly filling itself in. Or maybe blending from white to its actual texture. The animation time would be on the order of 1sec.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Anyone has specific ideas/propositions on how I should proceed from here?

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

What if it was like a futuristic weapon locker? The guns get synthesized after people pick them up.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

Some sort of weapons rack/locker would be much more intuitive for the player than a printer box. "where do I get a gun" --> "oh look there are a bunch over there". The problem with that is that not all the guns have ready models to put on the rack, and also coding an interactive gun rack would be difficult? (I'm assuming this is the case, correct me if I am wrong). I wonder if you could make a revolving gun rack/ printer combo?

Here is an example from the real world of a revolving gun safe. http://www.gunblast.com/Pendleton2.htm

How it would work:
A safe with an open door and maybe 2 or 3 guns showing. When you pick up a gun the cylindrical rack inside of the cabinet rotates and you see some fancy lights at the edges of cabinet like something is being printed/teleported/manufactured at the back of the cabinet just out of sight.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

That would be an interesting direction. Completely different though. I would be more intuitive indeed. However other ideas can be rendered to be easily associated with an armoury, using graphic elements on the object for instance.

What do you think, Viech? Should I try a new design with the ideas expressed above?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Hmm, I've been spending too much time on other stuff recently. Give me some more time so I can figure out what exactly we want to display on the Armoury/player and what not. This is quite limited by technical difficulties so I think it will boil down to 1) not showing any actual weapon as part of the Armoury and 2) having the new weapon teleport right into the users hands (so what we have currently plus optionally a shader effect on the new gun). There should also be an idle animation on a powered Armoury to distinguish it from an unpowered one. I'll figure something out.

Also I should port all the finished concepts to model assignments and start another batch of concept requests, you and hristew are working too quickly…

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Alright! Pop back in whenever you have a bit of time. Hristew work looks amazing, I can't wait to have more models done by him.