Armoury

Concept artwork for models and maps.
Viech
Project Head

Armoury

Post by Viech »

The Armoury is one of the human's most important structures as they need it to buy weapons, armor, upgrades and ammunition. It never runs out of stuff as items are teleported into it from a central storage depot.

Unlike the Armoury from Tremulous, our model should have a round or square (or otherwise equally sided) footprint to fit well into the square bounding boxes. It shoud have roughly the height of a human and its footprint should be as big as or slightly smaller than that of the Reactor:

If you are going with a square design, the four sides could correspond to the different item cathegories (weapons, body armour, misc equipment, ammo) but no actual item should be visible. A modular/slot system of some sort could work. Maybe the german packstation can inspire you. Other sources of inspiration could be a gun safe or a vending machine, but in the end you'll probably have to come up with something unique, as real world examples of futuristic teleportation armories are rare.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Re: Armoury

Post by alexbo »

I can have a try, if no one else want to get work though. I don't want to take every opportunity away from other artists.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

It's all yours! If we happen to have more concept artists with your activity level, we just need to get more creative and design new items. :grin:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Here's a sketch for the armoury. Sorry if it looks like Moes tavern, It won't be so with colour and texture and values.

Attachments
armoury.jpg
armoury.jpg (249.55 KiB) Viewed 10111 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Ups, this is way too big! Reread my post describing the size and have a look at the picture I posted: The Armoury should only be as high as the human bounding box and at most as wide/long as the reactor's. Your sketch is nearly as high as the reactor and twice as long/wide. Maybe rather think of a gun safe with a teleportation unit as opposed to a whole room full of equipment.

Use this as a reference for the maximum bounding box (so the actual structure can be even smaller depending on its shape):

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

I was affraid it would be too big, and it was. But here's a fixed sketch.

Attachments
armoury.jpg
armoury.jpg (232.01 KiB) Viewed 10095 times
Gireen
Graphic Designer
Clan: [DoH]

Post by Gireen »

3D Printers are close to a futuristic teleportation armorie :smile:
http://www.3dfocus.co.uk/wp-content/upl ... rinter.jpg

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I like the terminal and slots (even though the one for the body armor is way too small, maybe rather have a seperate locker-like door on another side) but the overall appearance is still too heavy and big. This looks more like a shipping container than a futuristic weapon rack. I guess Gireen is right that an industry 3D printer is what comes closest to the structure we are looking for. The one in the image has the perfect height and if you take away the left panel side (everything to the left of the sliding door handle) it should also have the right width. Keep in mind the structure is placed by players running around with construction kits and it should fit in niches and at the sides of hallways, so the side length of the Reactor's bounding box shouldn't be exceeded by the Armoury's one.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Width is fine (depth should match it, the structure needs a roughly equal sided footprint) but it's still too high. If you remove everything from the zizag pattern upwards it should be fine. However, to be honest I'd rather like to see a different approach with more roundish/futuristic and less crate-like looks. Apart from industry 3D printers, maybe gavlig's take on the armoury can inspire you. I would understand if you don't want to continue on this though.