SMG

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Viech
Project Head

SMG

Post by Viech »

Allow me to introduce, the SMG! Concept by alex_bo:

The SMG is the human team's most basic weapon. It is issued to every clone trooper for free and is potentially the most frequently used gun in the universe. The leitmotif of its construction is the simplicity and reliability of an established 21st century design, delaying the upcoming era of laser weapons by centuries.

Since this concept surpasses all design requirements, modelers are kindly asked to stick close to it. If you have experience with guns and are interested in bringing this masterpiece to life, post here!

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

hristew
Modeler

Re: SMG

Post by hristew »

Hello, I'm Vlad, just joined your development team. :)
I can start work on this SMG - I'll post updates here regularly.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Hi Vlad and welcome to the team! :smile:

Saw your impressive portfolio and can't wait to see how you'll bring the SMG to life!

If you have any questions just ask here, also don't hesitate to send alex_bo (the concept artists who made that sketch) a PM if you need additional inspiration for a specific area. You might also want to have a look at the concept assignment thread where you can find additional information about the gun. Have fun!

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

hristew
Modeler

Post by hristew »

Thank you Viech! I'll be sure to ask for any clarifications.

Here's the progress for today on the high poly:

kangz
Programmer

Post by kangz »

Wow nice work and speed! One thing, it looks very "slim" to me.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Oh wow, that was fast. You got the shape down perfectly, too. Nice!

For animation purposes, perhaps the ammo clip should be able to come off?

hristew
Modeler

Post by hristew »

@kangz Thanks, I'll ask some feedback from alex_bo. I think it's rather thick if you look at the grips - they seem a bit too large to handle properly. But anyway, modifying thickness is going to be an easy thing at this stage.

@kharnov Thanks! I'll make the clip separate, and there's a hollow out in the model where the clip goes in (and where the trigger is) so that there isn't anything weird during the reload animation. :tongue:

Next step is fleshing out remaining details and correcting some topology and pinching issues.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

We can provide you with the human hand models if you'd like. That way you can pose them with the weapon to get a sense for the way that the first-person hands will grip the weapon.

Stannum
Modeler

Post by Stannum »

I have serious doubts the hands will even fit in there.

The rails suck. Go online and find the schematics for real ones and take the measurements from them.

There is no charging handle or similar mechanism.

The current stock will make it nearly impossible to look through the iron sights. Not important for game play but the weapon still has to be as correct/believable as possible.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Stannum, your feedback comes a bit late, the issues you outlined are mostly problems in the concept, which hristew converted into the model with great precision (and speed!).

I agree that the rails should look a bit more sturdy. It would probably be best if those on the shotgun were used as a reference:

You could also be right about the trigger-hand grip being a bit too short for the hand to fit in, that area should be strechted by the width of one finger.

I don't think the buttstock is a big issue as it's not visible in its extended state but if the ironsights are moved a tad higher and/or the upper end of the buttstock a bit lower that shouldn't really hurt the looks of the gun, so I guess we should do this.

Adding some sort of reload slider sounds like a good idea. The magazine should indeed slide out as a part of the reload animation.

Another thing I'd like to say in advance is that the second-hand handle should attach to the rails below the barrel, as opposed to the concept where the handle looks like a fixed part of the gun.

All in all, this is a very good start and I'm eager to see your detail work hristew! :smile: