SMG

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
janev
Marauder

Re: SMG

Post by janev »

Wow I am really kicking myself for not noticing it earlier, especially since I commented specifically on it. My bad. :frown:

The ejection port should be located directly above the magazine. That is where it is getting the casings to throw out of the gun in the first place. Otherwise they would have to move around in the gun with some magical feeding device. The ejection port also needs to be big enough for the casings to actually be ejected out of it.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Keep in mind this is sci-fi, the gun needs to look reasonable to people who accept that you can also fly a jetpack without using your hands. So as long as a (small caliber) projectile gun can possibly be built like this I guess it's fine.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

hristew
Modeler

Post by hristew »

Hey guys, here's the low poly (almost done) with the baked normal map. Also, the 3D model so far is viewable in all its 3D glory here :tongue: . Triangle count is 8k, but I could probably get it down to about 6k with the lower res version of the rails.

@janev I think the location is fine, those kind of details will be barely visible (but anyway something to keep in mind in the next gun).

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Wow, I love this gun!

Here's the shotgun texture.

Since the charging handle is visible in the first person perspective we should be able to animate its movement (for both reloading and shooting). I hope it's not too late to make it a moving part.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

This is coming out fantastic! All I'd really say is, see if you can lower the tris count further. We'll get better performance that way. You might be able to do this by cutting out portions that you don't see from the first-person view.

Also, see if you can make a third-person version of the weapon. Something with much less detail, since it won't be seen up-close.

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

@ hristew, no worries. I don't expect anyone to take my feedback as something they must follow. Final say and artistic freedom belongs with the artists.

Viech wrote:

Wow, I love this gun!

Here's the shotgun texture.

Since the charging handle is visible in the first person perspective we should be able to animate its movement (for both reloading and shooting). I hope it's not too late to make it a moving part.

If you do animate the model be sure to mirror it when the gun is held in the right hand. Otherwise the animation will be ejecting brass directly into the players face.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

janev wrote:

If you do animate the model be sure to mirror it when the gun is held in the right hand. Otherwise the animation will be ejecting brass directly into the players face.

I'm not sure if this would be too bad. It's certainly bad industrial design for a gun used by a right handed person but it could look quite cool when the brass flys through the screen.

hristew
Modeler

Post by hristew »

Here is some update on the texturing, still in progress. I tried to get close to the material on the shotgun, there's are some scratches to add and maybe tone down some parts. The charging handle is moveable and there's a black box inside so it isn't see-through - I still have to finish the magazine and squeeze it in somewhere in the texture sheet. Triangle count is 6k now and I think I can optimize it a bit further, once I finish the textures I'll create a lower res for third person.

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Wow! That looks amazing!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Yes, yes it does! Great job so far!

Regarding the bolt, I guess we can have the brass eject at either side, whatever looks best in first person perspetive. The stripes might be a little too shiny but we'll see how it looks ingame. Attenuating them should be easy enough at any time.