SMG

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
hristew
Modeler

Re: SMG

Post by hristew »

@Stannum There, better rails. Reload slider and other details in the next update.
@Viech Thanks, I'll add the reload slider and detail the magazine as a separate object. :)

Next update. I posed the hands to get a sense of scale (hope I got it right, as in the reference) and redid the rails. There are also some modifications to the hand grip visible in the left side view, with the original concept art superimposed over it. I moved it further toward the barrel and extended it downward for the hand to fit. There's still some tinkering left to do.

The attached grip handle is not finished, I'll mix the three of them (the one on the right was modeled from reference and is the most realistic) to get closer to the concept and have it as functional as possible.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

wow, dude, this is AWESOME! I can't tell you how much i like greymat renderings and yours are just beautiful! I'm not sure if i want to see that in color :) Very good, really! please, keep up!

Here, have a nice granger :granger: , he knows a lot about guns

kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Very good!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Yes, this is indeed awesome. Feel free to modify the size and shape of both the grip and trigger handle as you see fit. Compared with your hands the three grips seem a bit small. If you need some more grip-space: I don't think the handle needs to be foldable as it's already modular (but foldable is fine as long as it's still big enough).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

hristew
Modeler

Post by hristew »

@gavlig Haha thanks! Wait till you see it in color :P
@Viech I decided to go for the non-foldable grip, as indeed I needed extra space for the hand

Next update below. There's only minor things left to do: add a couple of details to the magazine (the top), fix the floating iron sight and correct any pinching issues and topology problems that may interfere with normal map baking.

Next step is the low poly, unless you guys have any other comments. I was also thinking of making the buttstock a little more rounded as it doesn't seem too comfortable right now, and make an extended version of it.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Wow, this looks good!

You are right about the buttstock, it can use some smoothing. I don't think we'll need the extended version but when you make the buttstock a seperate mesh that slides out we'll have even more options for holding position and animation.

For the texture, please use the shotgun as a reference for the surface material of the gun so we achieve a good degree of consistency among our projectile based weapons. We can provide you with the actual texture if you want.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Stannum
Modeler

Post by Stannum »

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

A few nitpicks.

The trigger
A fat middle finger would prevent you from actually pulling the trigger.

The charging handle
Stannum already pointed it out but wasn't specific. The charging handle moves backwards when you fire or chamber a round. That means the nub need to be at the front of the port (not the back) and the whole thing fits underneath the top layer of metal.

Here is a gif of an ak47 in action without the back metal plate on leaving the mechanism exposed. There is a cover that fits over top of it as seen in the above image.

The buttstock doesn't look ergonomic. Cheek weld would be a problem, not to mention extremely uncomfortable. Less boxy is probably better.

Otherwise looking good. :thumbup:

hristew
Modeler

Post by hristew »

@Viech Yes, you could send me the texture, it would help!

@Janev Thanks for the suggestions, I modified the charging handle and the buttstock, and also changed the trigger a bit, but I'll work more on it when I start baking the low poly (and create the final high poly model).

@Stannum you remind me a lot of my college days (Product Design) when I had to present an idea to my teachers and they went on and on about correcting some things and modifying the design to fit some fixations they had with little relevance in the end or just out of my reach. :grin:

Thanks for the suggestions, I hope you also forwarded them to the artist to which the SMG concept belongs to. I don't feel right changing someone else's design when the requirement to stick close to it (unless for a really really good reason).

I increased the size of the switches and rounded the buttstock. I'll also widen the front grip.
Changing the recessed rails means changing a big part of the look of the gun. I don't think anyone will notice that today's attachments won't slide in. That pin position that interferes with the magazine is irrelevant (maybe it joins the extruded part from the front of the gun to the two grips and doesn't go all the way through). The curve that doesn't fit is part of the concept, and the buttstock is going to be also extendable, so its length is variable. I did change its width as much as I could.

Anyway, here are the changes to the high poly, the baked low poly is on it's way. The magazine will be done in the end, since it's a separate object.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

hristew wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, I hope you also forwarded them to the artist to which the SMG concept belongs to. I don't feel right changing someone else's design when the requirement to stick close to it (unless for a really really good reason).

No single artist here has a monopoly on design. I just found the general shape of the concept to be pretty good with regards to our requirements but the detail work is pretty much up to you. (And you are doing a decent job at it!)

I'll provide you with the shotgun texture later.