Shrike

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Cupside
Modeler

Re: Shrike

Post by Cupside »

I also uploaded also a video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qy4binw5mdyhexh/Wing2.mov

Let me know what do you think.

Attachments
Front view
Front view
Shrike_09_05 Body shape change.jpg (186.07 KiB) Viewed 64300 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I will talk to gavlig later today to find out what type of wings (single pair or overlapping/double pair) would be suited best for the set of animations we need. For now let's compare the latest two progress shots (old and new):

First of all, the armor shards on the old version looked good, don't remove all of them! In case you want to make some space for the wings only remove the shards that get in your way. Those between the wings and the tail should stay and you might want to also leave one between the head and the wings (even though it might need to be smaller than the one on the old version depending on the wing position).

Speaking of wing position, moving the wings further to the front so they are roughly above the claws was a good idea. It was also a good idea to make the back surrounding the wings more bulky as Stannum proposed, but I feel this might have been a tad to much for a single iteration. Let's make the size increase more subtle for now and reevaluate proportions afterwards. (Use as much space as you need for the wings to look well-attached but don't add any extra bulk just yet.)

The size decrease of the tail is also fine in general, but I'd go with something between the old and new version for now. The reason is the same as above: Make the next iteration mostly a functional one and do proportion adjustments afterwards when all the "features" of the model are settled.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Cupside
Modeler

Post by Cupside »

Ok, I will wait until you talk with Gavlig about how many wings Shrike should have.

Viech wrote:

First of all, the armor shards on the old version looked good, don't remove all of them! In case you want to make some space for the wings only remove the shards that get in your way. Those between the wings and the tail should stay and you might want to also leave one between the head and the wings (even though it might need to be smaller than the one on the old version depending on the wing position).

I will let armor plates in tail and I will also put it between wings and head.

Viech wrote:

Speaking of wing position, moving the wings further to the front so they are roughly above the claws was a good idea. It was also a good idea to make the back surrounding the wings more bulky as Stannum proposed, but I feel this might have been a tad to much for a single iteration. Let's make the size increase more subtle for now and reevaluate proportions afterwards. (Use as much space as you need for the wings to look well-attached but don't add any extra bulk just yet.)

So What should I do? I use previous model or I do more subtle last model I posted? In reference to tail, I will do a mix between both of them as you had explained to me.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

I think i can animate 4-winged shrike, but move them(wings) apart a bit more, it'd be better the way i see it :)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Cupside wrote:

So What should I do? I use previous model or I do more subtle last model I posted?

I guess the wings as such on the new model are good to be used. If it's possible you could add the new wings to the old model and redo the attachment, since that way you don't need to redo all the armor shards. (If it's not possible to add the new wings to the old model it would be up to you if you would rather redo the wings on the old or the armor shards on the new model…)

Since gavlig thinks four wings are good to work with and since they look quite good and fit our gameplay needs (compact yet credible) I'd propose you should go with the four winged overlapping version as in your latest iteration. Try to leave some space between the wing's basis as gavlig proposed.

Keep in mind that regardless of all the debate going on you have all the artistic freedom you want! If you want to do something differently than what people propose just consult me or `Ishq whether this would work for gameplay and ask gavlig whether it can be animated and it will be fine (as long as it also matches the general style of our aliens, obviously). The main advantage in sticking to the concept art is usually that it has already been evaluated with regards to gameplay and in a few other ways. However, in this special case we focused too much on the feet and forgot to optimize the wings, sorry for that!

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Cupside
Modeler

Post by Cupside »

It will very helpful for me if Gavlig would done a side view with aproximately position of the wings, I say it because that way I will spend more time on develop attachment of wings instead fighting with check and error of position. I don't know how much distance wants him between wings joints.

Anyway, I didn't deleted armor plates, I only disable visibility on model. If you want I can upload some images of model with armor plates.

Let me know what do you think.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

You know, on second thought, i'd prefer current wings position as well :) So on my side it's ok whether wings are close to each other or moved apart ;)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Cupside wrote:

Anyway, I didn't deleted armor plates, I only disable visibility on model. If you want I can upload some images of model with armor plates.

Sure, if it's easy for you to show us some variations, we can give you more detailed feedback! (Viech 101: Throw an image in a thread and I'll comment on every change.)

Cupside
Modeler

Post by Cupside »

Here you got some views of shrike without wings (that way you will see armor plates better). I'm a bit stuck with wings, I don't know what to do with it.

Attachments
3/4
3/4
Shrike_10_03 Armour plates.jpg (187.91 KiB) Viewed 64242 times
Shrike_10_02 Armour plates.jpg (186.8 KiB) Viewed 64242 times
Side
Side
Shrike_10_01 Armour plates.jpg (193.81 KiB) Viewed 64242 times
Cupside
Modeler

Post by Cupside »