Shrike

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Cupside
Modeler

Re: Shrike

Post by Cupside »

Hi Viech,

I would like to texture it. Could you give me some information about lowpoly budget for this model? I imagine texture should be a single 2k map.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Hey, cool!

Try to get it below 10k triangles. A single 2k UV map seems appropriate (of course, texturing as 4k and scaling down later works just as well, if not better).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Cupside
Modeler

Post by Cupside »

Hi guys,

I ended a 10k (9994 tris :smile: ) lowpoly mesh of shrike. I would like some rigger/animator check it and give me some advice before proceed with UV mapping, that way if I have to make some changes to improve mesh for animation I will not lost work progress. In link below you can download obj file for maya to watch it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7izpm6f8f21a ... K-hja?dl=0

I put here some images of LP:

Regards to all Unvanquished team,

Sergio Anes

Attachments
top.jpg
top.jpg (304.72 KiB) Viewed 9103 times
perspective
perspective
Perspective.jpg (288.55 KiB) Viewed 9103 times
front
front
Front.jpg (203.92 KiB) Viewed 9103 times
gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

I'll take a look on it when i get home tonight(hopefully)

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Apart from few minor issues, the mesh is good. Really good.

There are actually 2 things i'd consider fixing(even 1.5):

1. What appears to be and artifact from mesh decimation(or not) on all legs: http://minus.com/i/beuD2ZfIfDtF

2(1.5). Wings are too thin and zbuffer precision might fail sometimes: http://minus.com/i/pXy6R7Sgx0sV

Cupside
Modeler

Issues with LPmesh

Post by Cupside »

Thank you for your help Gavlig.

So I will check legs, It seems a problem exporting because I took care of my file with xView inside 3DS max and I was wondering about overlapping vertices and faces. It can also be a problem with tolerance with Xview. Anyways I will check it.

What about wings? Do you think I should increase a bit polycount and give it a bit more of thickness? I say it because I don't know if this will be allowed, I'm in 10k budget atm, probably with less than 400 hundred tris it would be ok. Lets see what other team members say.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

What's your poly count now?

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

As i said, the issue with wings is minor and all you can do is spread a few vertices a bit to make them thicker. In the end, i can do that myself during rig process if that would cause problems(and it probably wouldn't)

Cupside
Modeler

Post by Cupside »

I thought you wanted to add some tris in border between top and bottom triangles of wings, that way tris will had more space between faces nad zbuffer shouldn't have too much zfighting.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

nah, mesh density is just fine the way it is now