Shrike

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
Cupside
Modeler

Re: Shrike

Post by Cupside »

Ok, I checked the mesh and you were right, there were some errors that I didn't notice with Xview last day. Its an odd thing, it seems an error due to tolerance distance, probably it was lower than it should be. Anyways I have found other errors and solved them.

Now I will create UV map and bake normal map. If anything goes well then I will continue with texturing.

I have to go some days of holydays but, I hope to continue when I will come back.I will update whe I tested normal map.

See you later.

Cupside
Modeler

Post by Cupside »

Clear seam in wing
Clear seam in wing
Seam01.jpg (79.57 KiB) Viewed 6391 times

Hi guys,

I did some bakes of normal map after ending UV mapping. I have found some errors in baking but the main issue here are the wings. Because if I use only 1 smooth group /soft edge I get average normal in top and bottom polys because he is doing the average normal between both faces. So I decided to create 2 smooth groups to avoid this problem and solved it as you can see in top view of model. What happens now is what you see in close shot of wing, exactly where both groups are closer I get a clear seam.

I don't know if someone has any trick or suggestion to help me solve it.

Attachments
Top view with smooth groups
Top view with smooth groups
Seam03.jpg (42.35 KiB) Viewed 6391 times
perspective
perspective
Seam02.jpg (57.66 KiB) Viewed 6391 times
gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Well, those seams don't look like a much of a problem, they could even be fixed manually. Though i'd wait for another response to agree or disagree with my point.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

It should indeed be possible to fix those seams manually on the normal map, as the normals in the problematic area don't seem to make significant jumps. Maybe there's an option in the normal map baker that allows you to interpolate the areas around the UV islands with fitting colors, right now it looks like the normal map could have some sort of "background color" that gets used at the seam. (Note that I have no experience with modeling and just provided my opinion on kharnov's request. :tongue: )

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Cupside
Modeler

Post by Cupside »

I don't know if I explained the issue quite well. Gavlig the problem is in the edges that are shared with each poly with two different smooth groups / soft edges. They have 2 different normal in the same edge, so I will have always the same error or at least I don't know how to fix it.
If I don't split in 2 smooth groups, then in top view, where polys have more than 90º we will have lighting issues because they will have its average normal of both polys with a normal pointing nearly parallel to faces, You can see it in picture attached there, blue lines are the average normals. Thats why I said to add some extra trys in border of this edges to avoid this lighting issues. I thought the same as you at the beggining, fixing it later on Photoshop, so I baked another NM with only 1 smooth group and copy these wings without seam error, but it didn't work due the tangets are mising information in the angle between them. As I said, I don't know if it is possible to fix it, at least I don't know how atm. Here you have more detailed infor and well explained about smoothing groups issues:
http://www.svartberg.com/tutorials/arti ... lmaps.html

Probably you already know it and you know how to fix it, as I said its my lack of experience solving this kind of issues why I'm asking here for help and advice.

There are other bake errors I can fix it manually in Photoshop with healing / clone/ patch tools and later renormalizing with xNormal filter to solve lighting issues, but this is not the case.

I uploaded an .obj and NM texture so you can check it in your 3D software. NM was with 3DS max preset (X+,Y-, Z+), so if you work with Maya invert Y channel.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wqtca0o3thfa ... KVkla?dl=0

Thanks a lot for your feedback,

Sergio

Attachments
1SmoothGroup02.jpg
1SmoothGroup02.jpg (43.23 KiB) Viewed 6372 times
1SmoothGroup.jpg
1SmoothGroup.jpg (97.3 KiB) Viewed 6372 times
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Post by kharnov »

Pinging for updates.

Cupside
Modeler

Post by Cupside »

Hey guys, I'm testing textures, I need to clean all maps to hide seams but at least I have something I like. Let me know what do you think about it.

Attachments
screen03.jpg
screen03.jpg (176.33 KiB) Viewed 6355 times
screen02.jpg
screen02.jpg (211.4 KiB) Viewed 6355 times
screen01.jpg
screen01.jpg (226.92 KiB) Viewed 6355 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Wow, good start! In general, I like the style, but you should consider using brighter tones since the reflections might come out differently in the game engine and the model could turn out to look rather dark then. I think the glowing eyes should be a bit bigger.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

i think i want to animate it already :)

Cupside
Modeler

Post by Cupside »

Hey guys,

could you check model in game with all textures, I don't know if it will be so flatten as happened before with mantis.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/afqz6tstecy1l ... ke.7z?dl=0

7zip file has diffuse/albedo, normal, spec, glow and also an Ambient occlusion pass, let me know if you need to merge it with diffuse map or paste AO inside diffuse map with PS or Gimp selecting multiply to AO layer.

Thanks a lot for your help mates.