Forlorn

Maps and texture sets.
EmperorJack
Mapper

Forlorn

Post by EmperorJack »

Hi all this thread is to post updates on a new map I plan on making called Forlorn. Please use this to post ideas and criticisms or any other general comments.

So the theme so far is an icy cold, desolate facility, on a snowy planet. It should involve icicles, chilling drafts and subtle ambient sounds for effect.

I have a few weeks left of school/uni before I hit exams so until then I won't be working much on the map. For now I have drawn up some layout concepts. Kharnov has told me we are in need of some smaller maps so I'm hoping this will be smaller. As of now the scale will probably be slightly more than that of plat23.

Key layout ideas are:

• 2 possible base starting locations for each team.
  • Rooms that are useful for resource or forward outposts.
  • 2 main routes to the other base.
  • A larger central outside area.

Description of each concept:
1) Basic layout with central area not on main routes.
2) Basic layout where both routes cross through the central area at some point.
3) Simpler layout with 2 larger rooms/outside areas.
4) Like number 3) but has more complexity with the centre route and thus more rooms.
5) The most complex layout that splits the right route into 2 rooms at one point. My favourite.

Share your opinions if you like. These concepts may not be final. :smile:

Viech
Project Head

Re: Forlorn

Post by Viech »

I love asymmetric layouts! Go for number five and make sure upper and lower half aren't too similiar either. (Of course, the difficulty will be balancing the pathes so both teams have no favorite or atleast the same. But I think this is worth it.)

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

EmperorJack
Mapper

Post by EmperorJack »

I've decided on the map being a mineral research facility. Minerals are excavated, processed and finally analysed. There will be no fighting underground but instead in the ice laden facility that sits atop.

Red shaded rooms indicate alien default base locations and vice versa blue for humans.

Next up is blocking out the map so it can be playtested. :wink:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

OMG minerals! :3

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Anomalous
Programmer

Post by Anomalous »

Give it a nice deep mineshaft (and maybe even a pit head?) – somewhere to be a lemming get pushed down by a dragoon.

Debian and Ubuntu packages (squeeze, wheezy, sid; 12.04, 12.10, 13.04) may work on derivatives

OFFEND! … no, that's not right… ATTACK!

EmperorJack
Mapper

Post by EmperorJack »

Since the last post Forlorn has progressed somewhat. The first release was critiqued and reduced in size so it was more of a well rounded medium size. It was first gameplay tested in the alpha 2 version of which it was very biased to the humans. They expanded easily while the aliens had a hard time doing anything at all. To counter this I have been reducing hallway lengths, making them wider and adding some more complexity to the rooms and hallways. The rooms are now closer to each over meaning less length is required for hallways.

The concept of a grey box map seems to have worked so far as I have been able to manipulate the layout easily. Though because of lack of geometric detail the aliens cannot fight to their full extent using all the niches and crannies that geometric details give. For alpha 3 I am investing more time into these details to try and balance the map.

Here is an updated layout that alpha 3 will look like approximately. Because I haven't invested time in aesthetics I have been able to completely redo parts of the map while little previous effort and time has been wasted. Note the image is only a sketch and thus the rooms in the real map will be placed slightly differently.

Expect forlorn-a3 to be coming to a dev game near you! ...Soon!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

This sounds like it's the thing that Forlorn needed, looking forward to testing it! :smile:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

This map allows some really strong human forwards. The turret setup in this room is truly evil (note that the two turrets on the pillar perfectly cover the entrance area with death from above … and the tesla will zap down). I feel this is more an issue of limited alien attacks though, some bases are just not meant to be attacked with melee.

EmperorJack
Mapper

Post by EmperorJack »

Status so far:

Forlorn is still in activate development and with each alpha I am adjusting the layout/geometry to suit feedback from development games. Currently sitting on alpha 6 with alpha 7 in development. As the layout is being fine tuned I am continuing to work on my texture set which will allow me to detail the map. Progress is a little slow as I am still settling into University life but step by step it is getting there.

I thank you all for your support in testing the map and hope to hear more feedback with each alpha.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

For reference, this was my feedback so far:

Apart from that, I think the default bases are quite nice (even though currently humans would always want to move to the room in the west).