Forlorn

Maps and texture sets.
EmperorJack
Mapper

Re: Forlorn

Post by EmperorJack »

Forlorn update:

As the general gameplay of the map is now in a stable state I have started detailing the map. This involves me replacing all the blocked out rooms with proper geometric details and actual light sources. Because I am building my own texture pack from scratch for use with the map this stage will take longer than usual. What I plan on doing is to continue releasing updates as the map progresses instead of just waiting till I finish all the detailing. Some surfaces may contain place holder textures or some textures might repeat a lot because I have yet to create variations in walls, trims, ceilings etc. Once everyone agrees the detailing is at a decent state the map can be released in beta state while I still continue detailing afterwards.

Here is a progress shot of the first room I am detailing. It's not complete but it should hopefully set the standard for all other rooms.
Just remember Forlorn is not just a map project but a project that involves the creation of Unvanquished's first original texture pack!

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Aweeeeeh textures! :grin: Looking good so far. Make sure you throw enough light on the floor! :wink:

Once your texture set is in a stable state I can start shipping it as a tex-*.pk3, too.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

EmperorJack
Mapper

Post by EmperorJack »

I have returned somewhat and am continuing my initial detailing of Forlorn. Expect alpha releases soon :smile:

My texture pack is almost at a state where I can release it standalone. It's currently sitting at 16 unique textures (20 including colour variants). I am aiming for 20 unique textures as the minimal amount and I can then expand from there. Also keep in mind each texture has a default look and an icy/snowy look so in effect there are two texture packs, ej01 and ej01_ice being made. Forlorn uses the latter.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Wohoo! I like the style: Wall-walkable, unyielding and cold as ice. :tongue:

I think you should turn down (or decrease the contrast of) the ice effects on the textures though, especially on repeated elements like the floors. While high frequency tiling looks fine with mechanical elements, it doesn't work too well with "organic" structures such as ice.

When you feel your texture set is ready, I can package it for you or I can set you up with the packaging pipeline.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

Let me just pick up my jaw from the floor and tell you how much i like it :D

EmperorJack
Mapper

Post by EmperorJack »

Update:

My initial 20 textures/materials are ready for ej01-ice pack! I will discuss setting the pack up with Viech before I release. 20 is a nice core amount that will help me finish the initial detailing of forlorn before I go back and add more. I have planned a total of 48 unique materials for the pack so far, so there is a lot to do. With every additional material the map gets more detailed as there is more variation and opportunities for unique features.

Some new screenshots:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Looking awesome! I really like those walls at human default. :smile:

EmperorJack
Mapper

Post by EmperorJack »

Detailed most of the minor rooms/hallways. The bases and larger rooms are next.
More screenshots:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Wow, I really like the cold lighting you did there! You also made an effort to light up the floor, which is good.

gavlig
Animator

Post by gavlig »

gooood