Egg (1)

Model animations and effects.
sinusoid

Re: Egg

Post by sinusoid »

I've worked on the hatching animation more, here's a list of stuff that's been done:
-simplified the animation: more up to the point, symmetric, inspired by current in-game egg animation. Stays within bounding box.
-changed egg core rig to allow for mesh compression: used it to hide the egg after spawn and added a bit of stretch&squash in movement
-added gib mockups (stretching texture, nothing spectacular, but should give the idea. Didn't want to put too much time into it at this stage)

AVI available here

I think the gibs could look really nice if they had a rendered texture from fluid simulation with a few frames of animation on it, we could use normals and speculars on it, wouldn't have this fuzzy feeling of particles. I'm not sure if I want to go into it deeper at the moment, though, since I've never done SFX, and may end up locked in with a long, experimental, unusable piece of animation that's going to be ditched in the end.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Looks good! For the gibs, I'd use particles for a start, otherwise we won't be able to hide the disappearing mesh.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

bsp1t
Dretch

Post by bsp1t »

Downloaded and checked it out, NICE.

Great to see im not the only blender user here. Props.

Ishq
Project Head

Post by Ishq »

All of our new alien animations were animated in blender :)

sinusoid

Post by sinusoid »

As I wrote in the Drill thread, things were slow for me for the past two-three weeks due to family related issues. I couldn't get nice big chunks of time to work on stuff properly, so I spent most of the remaining available free time on drafting the usual exercises, learning, preparing for hardsurf and texturing/baking, and poking at the drill.

I'm back on track now, so I should spew some updates this week :smile:

Caught a few hours of gameplay in the mean time, testing stuff with bots (running on mobile internet for some time now, so I'm /devmapping atcshd a lot, screenshotting refs, testing building arrangements, damage effectiveness - especially of the aliens, since it's a bit hard to grasp; attack strategies against structures, turret/tesla/leech/hive/trapper placement for best defense, this kind of stuff. Mostly repeating/troubleshooting strategies I've seen during live gameplays)

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Any updates?

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

No updates for five weeks, I'll reassign this.