Female Soldier

Concept artwork for models and maps.
Viech
Project Head

Re: Female Soldier

Post by Viech »

alex_bo wrote:

Ok! So first I apologize for the long time.

Seriously? Your speed is amazing, there is no reason to apologize. I live in constant fear that you burn yourself out on this. :grin:

So, I like your take on the armor a lot! Two things that are not yet optimal: The grey protection on her right leg should either be mirrored on the left or removed, as it doesn't make much sense to only protect one side. The yellow parts on her chest look a bit too massive compared with the thin material used on her arms. Keep in mind that she would wear the actual armor on top of her current clothes. Maybe you could try to retexture the material on her chest so that it looks more like clothing and less like armor.

The upper part of her face is nice, on the lower part she looks too old and a tad too chubby. Take some roughness out of the chin and make her cheeks a bit more flat and it should be fine (also, you forgot to add ears :tongue: ).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

I hear you. I had some of these concerns in mind. For the face, this can mainly be blamed on a slight lack of proficiency in face rendering from my part. So I'll try to fix it, even if take me hours! The protection on her leg was also something I was stuck on. I just blanked out of ideas, if that's a way to say it. As for the rest, the chest section and clothing, it's good to know that now I'll refine that. As well. Give me the weekend to, hopefully, fix all that.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

You have all the time you need. Just work at your prefered speed. We won't run out on new things to assign to you if you are too fast and there is no way for you to be too slow, since all our modelers are currently working on something and we already have a handful of concepts for them to chose from when they are done. If you want a pause from the female soldier just say so, I can then put out more interesting assignments (e.g. a back-mounted jetpack).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

I Think I fixed all that is needed. I added a new texture on the legs and made is symmetrical. I hope it is appropriate!

If it's all good. Let me know the specs for the armoured version.

Attachments
female2.jpg
female2.jpg (204.14 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

For the armor regions, just have a look at the male model. It should cover chest, back, shoulders, upper legs and head.

For the chest, you could try to transform the yellow parts on it into an armor piece with full coverage by filling in the gaps (not necessarily with the same material). I'd remove the current chest piece from the unarmored version as it looks too bulky for not offering much protection (that's something we can tell the modeler though, don't mind removing it from the concept).

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

This is more work than what I expected! Here's where I am on the full armor.

Attachments
female2.jpg
female2.jpg (209.26 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Wow, this is pretty nice! I'd give her additional protection on the upper legs (on top of the black protection that is visible on the unarmored version), just like the simplistic extra plates on the male's legs. Apart from that this is perfect! I like it how you turned the given chest piece, boots and neck area into a more feminine version without sacrificing any protection or functionality.

Another good news is that Casey, hwo is currently finishing the Granger wants to work on the female soldier next! From what I heard he has some experience with modeling human bodys.

Apart from adding simple armor plates on the upper legs of the armored version, you could remove the chest piece from the unarmored version and give her a nice high-tech fiber sweater. If you wanna practice faces (and/or do one for your portfolio) you could also make another more detailed version with a frontal perspective. Both is really just an offer, at this point we should have pretty much all we need for Casey to get started.

After finishing this, if you still wanna draw stuff for Unvanquished, just tell me what area you'd prefer next (e.g. human/alien buildables, alien classes, human weapons or equipment) and I can come up with something for you.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Alright so here's a face design, the fix on the armor and the armor-free version. The latter is made quickly. I didn't want to use too much time on that fix, i hope it's ok.

On the portrait, the compression made her look full of freckles, it's meant to be much more subtle.

Attachments
female_no arm.jpg
female_no arm.jpg (211.7 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
female2.jpg
female2.jpg (201.08 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
face.jpg
face.jpg (203.43 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Wow, that face is awesome! She looks like a badass clone trooper. The hair has perfect length. I guess we are done here! :smile:

Casey should be done with the granger soon, if it's before the 9th it would be nice if someone else could instruct him and supply him with the male model sources as a technical reference (I have to prepare for a test). Seems like you'll see your first concept transformed into an actual model soon Alex!

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

I can't wait to see the result!

For the next design, if you have something architectural that would be cool. It's very possible that it might not be the necessary, in which case, some alien character/creature/thing would be cool for variety. I'd also like to work on some objects of any kind if the other things are not in need of concepts.