Female Soldier

Concept artwork for models and maps.
Viech
Project Head

Female Soldier

Post by Viech »

We aim to have a female soldier to accompany the male version.

There has been some rough concepting in the past but you don't need to use any of that.

There would be one base version without armor, one with light armor and potentially one with medium/heavy armor (not the battlesuit). I'd propose that both sexes use the same battlesuit model for a development speedup, so better keep breast size moderate. Speaking of which, my personal request for the model would be that the clothing/armor is functional and protective as opposed to sexy and revealing.

In order to prevent the development effort from getting unnecessarily high, here are some specifics related to armor:

• There will be a male and a female model ("base model") with functional clothing but without armor and without a helmet.

• All armored models (light, heavy, battlesuit) will include a helmet that will hide the face completely. (This is something that is also desired for gameplay reasons.)

• Depending on the magnitude of the anatomy differences between the male and female base models and the bulkiness of the armor, the armor models are shared between the sexes (likely for the battlesuit) or adjusted as necessary (likely for the light armor).

The first concept of the female solider should show the base model (no armor). She should wear a similiar kind of suit as the male one. The hands, arms and shoes are also visible on the lightly armored model and thus should fit the armor.

Alex will be working on the concept.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

janev
Marauder

Re: Female Soldier

Post by janev »

For inspiration check out the top female crossfit athletes. Annie for example is a total beast. On the other hand she might make unv guy look like a bit of a bitch. :)

http://www.newsoficeland.com/home/image ... nnie-c.jpg

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

thanks! I will

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

So I have a basic design sketch. Let me know what like and not like.

Attachments
female2.jpg
female2.jpg (248.89 KiB) Viewed 3647 times
janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

Pretty good start. :thumbup:

• I'd give the upper body a tiny bit more of a V flare. She looks a bit on the weak side. Build up those lats. :grin:
  • Try to make the uniform match with the male model if possible.
  • Arms, hands, knees look a bit out of proportion.
  • The hair, will it work with the limitations of the engine and helmets and such.

Another example from the real world.
http://6packrating.com/wp-content/uploa ... tt-gun.jpg

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

I agree with janev that she's a bit thin, I think the first picture of the athlete he posted has good proportions for a clone soldier. I guess hair like that is fine, it should fit into a helmet and has a shape that prevents it from moving, so it can be textured quite easily. Regarding the uniform, only the shoulders, arms, shins and knees need to match the male uniform.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Alright, so.

1. Do you have clear image of the dude's uniform so I can use it as reference?
  2. How much do it need to match. Be identical or have basically the same material, colour and shape?

For the proportions and stuff like that, I'll fix it the best I can as I go along. I had not done figures in a while so I wasn't 100% comfortable. I'll get back into it, i'm sure.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Here is the male model with and without light armor (helmet not included):

In the future, the light armor will always include the helmet (which shouldn't really concern you since it hides all of the face):

If technically possible, we will want to reuse both light armor and helmet on the female model. That would lead to a number of requirements:

• Body proportions would need to be roughly the same. (It'd likely that we'd have to adjust the armor in the breast region though.)

• The areas on the female model that would not be covered by the armor should look good together with it. It wouldn't need to be the exact same clothing though.

• You could use another color than yellow. Changing the color on the armor is trivial.

• I have to correct myself regarding the hair: Your current approach wouldn't work too well with the helmet as the bun would stick out of it. (Technically, the head is still rendered when the helmet is visible.) So it would be ideal if she had short hair that is close to her head.

I will talk to modelers to find out if it's technically possible and how much effort it is. I'll get back at you when I know more. Meanwhile I'd propose you could focus on the face, since you definitely have all freedom there. :smile:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

So, I got input by Stannum and he thinks we will get better results when we do the armor from scratch, so that's good for you because you have more freedom here. :smile:

You are still very free to receive inspiration from the male model, since they are supposed to be part of the same clone trooper* unit. It would be nice if you could reuse some of the materials from the male clothing on her. You should also still try to give her hair that would fit under a similiar kind of helmet. Apart from that, her looks are up to you!

* Just a lazy explaination why they all look the same.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

Ok! So first I apologize for the long time. It was giving a hard time for some reason, it didn't seem so hard. So I was heavily inspired by elements of the male. Let me know if you like it. If you do I can start working on the armored versions.

Attachments
female2.jpg
female2.jpg (197.45 KiB) Viewed 3578 times