Lasgun

Models and textures for players, weapons and buildables.
kharnov
Granger
Clan: GT

Re: Lasgun

Post by kharnov »

http://www.unvanquished.net/~enneract/l ... neract.pk3

That's the exported, animated lasgun.

Something clearly happened during the animation export process that completely messed up the shading on the model, it was perfectly fine on your end. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding and confusion.

It could be possible that when Russ imported the IQM into Max to animate it, something bad happened to the shading.

Could you give us an OBJ of the lasgun?

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

For reference, this was also posted on IRC and it sounded like it was taken with the pk3 that chris provided.

Sorry chris, I didn't really take a close look at the issue this time. :confused:

On a sidenote, this shows how important it is to document every step in the implementation process with an image and a link to a properly versioned pk3 on the forums (ideally in the implementation subforum next time so it doesn't even look like the artist is to blame).

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

chris
Modeler

Post by chris »

chris wrote:

The lasgun is done.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyr5_V2cpqw[video]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5m9t3h0hbmh1m ... un_1.0.pk3
I'm not going to animate it. Therefore I've added the obj and some informations for the animator.
This pk3 overwrites the telenode with the lasgun if you want to take a look at it.

The source .obj is already there and the animated lasgun looks weird because it was exported to md5 and not iqm.

And to add a bit constructive criticism: The rifle needs to be closer to the players view, as otherwise you just pull all the
interesting parts away from the viewer and expose a boring buttstock.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Re-export, chris:

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

Sweet! For now we need a placeholder texture for display and scope, ultimately (as in, post beta) both should be rendered dynamically.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Wouldn't the metal portions look better if they were shiny and scratched like the turret? And, I don't know how i feel about the flat red.

Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

kharnov wrote:

And, I don't know how i feel about the flat red.

Viech wrote:

For now we need a placeholder texture for display and scope, ultimately […] both should be rendered dynamically.

I think chris left both display and scope red in case that we can already render something on both in real time, which we can't. Therefor, we need to replace the red placeholders with better placeholders.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

Chris, the lasgun looks a bit better now as you can see in that shot, but it still doesn't look like your renders. What could we be doing wrong with the export process?

Also, the animator is using Max. If we gave you the .max files, would you be able to export and check it out?

chris
Modeler

Post by chris »

Yes, send me the .max file and I can try it. But It has to be saved as a legacy max file ( max 2012<=), otherwise I cant open it.
And also post the last export (pk3) here too, pls.

kharnov
Granger

Post by kharnov »

I forwarded you the email, Chris. As for the pk3, Ishq has it, but he says he had to do a lot of hacks to make it work on the code side.