Painsaw

Concept artwork for models and maps.
alexbo
Concept Artist

Re: Painsaw design

Post by alexbo »

I put the handle much further in the front. It does make more sense that way.

The angled surface where it used to be could be some sort of control screen/interface, I don't know. Otherwise we can fix it or make it a random design piece.

So the handle is a half circle, so as far as the initial design permits it, you can hold it at any angle in the upper 180 degress.

The attachment Capture d’écran 2013-09-04 à 12.23.50.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2013-09-04 à 12.23.50.jpg
Viech
Project Head

Re: Painsaw

Post by Viech »

A half circle is fine, too, but since the tool wouldn't be very wide the handle will have to reach over atleast one side anyway.

A screen or interface wouldn't really fit, maybe just simplify the area and make the handle more visible (i.e. bigger)? I think the body itself doesn't need to have much detail since the handle and front can be the eyecatchers. Speaking of the front, maybe make the protective plate less filigree, too. I imagine the painsaw as a rather simple and sturdy tool.

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction

janev
Marauder

Post by janev »

I really like the direction this is going. :grin: However, there is something funny about the way this painsaw is held. The reason firearms have stocks that rest against the shoulder is to better deal with recoil and to be able to aim the firearm at distant targets by sighting along the barrel. The painsaw is a different animal since neither of those requirements hold. There is no recoil (?) and you basically just have to touch the target with the plasma ball on the end. I am at a loss though as to what would would be better. Chainsaws are about the only thing that comes to mind from the real world that compares.

alexbo
Concept Artist

Post by alexbo »

So I simplified the front part. I feel that when I went further it looked incomplete, based on the design we already have. Let me know if you like it. I can always give you my psd If you feel that I don't quite get what you want to do.

The attachment painsaw2.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
painsaw2.jpg
Viech
Project Head

Post by Viech »

It's fine then, let's consider this done. :smile:

Responsible for: Arch Linux package & torrent distribution, Parpax (map), Chameleon (map texture editor), Sloth (material file generator), gameplay design & programming, artistic direction